"Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet." error RRS feed

• Question

• User2099608632 posted

The following error occurs when I try to view my .aspx page from a link on my website:

The XML page cannot be displayed

Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

A name was started with an invalid character. Error processing resource 'file:///C:/Documents and Settings/quitania/S P S/_...

<%@ Page Language="vb" Debug="true" %>
    -^

I installed aspnet_regiis.exe as per another website's instructions, but still I get this error. Any other advice?

Thursday, April 3, 2008 12:37 PM

All replies

• User1340541308 posted

It sounds like you are trying to load the file into your browser directly from the file system by either doing File | Open and then browsing to the aspx file or by typing in the path to it, like c:\\whatever\somewhere\mypage.aspx.

When you do that the browser tries to open the file but ASP.Net is not involved so no processing is done on the file and the browser just tries to display it as an xml file, which fails with the error you are seeing.

The way this is usually done is If you are working on this page in Visual Studio than you can either use the built-in web server and display the page in a browser by hitting F5 (debuggin) or Ctrl-F5 (no debugging). That will cause VS to launch your browser and navigate to your default page in your site. Otherwise you can create a virtual directory for you site in IIS and point it at the directory that contains your site and then fire up your browser and navigate to http://localhost/yourvirtualdirectoryname

Thursday, April 3, 2008 2:03 PM
  • User2099608632 posted

It sounds like you are trying to load the file into your browser directly from the file system by either doing File | Open and then browsing to the aspx file or by typing in the path to it, like c:\\whatever\somewhere\mypage.aspx.

-- No, I am not loading the file into my browser. I am actually launching directly from Visual Web Developer Express Edition.

The way this is usually done is If you are working on this page in Visual Studio than you can either use the built-in web server and display the page in a browser by hitting F5 (debuggin) or Ctrl-F5 (no debugging). That will cause VS to launch your browser and navigate to your default page in your site. Otherwise you can create a virtual directory for you site in IIS and point it at the directory that contains your site and then fire up your browser and navigate to http://localhost/yourvirtualdirectoryname

-- I put my website in the IIS directory. Still no luck. Any other suggestions???

Thursday, April 3, 2008 2:18 PM
  • User915387828 posted

Hi rquitania,

I suggest you try the following method.

Firstly.

Run these commands in this order from command prompt:

a.  aspnet_regiis.exe –i

b.  aspnet_regiis.exe –e

Secondly,

You can go into IIS, then click the properties of the site, ASP.NET TAB.

The ASP.NET Version was blank in the drop down for some reason.
    You can selected one from the list.

Let me know if I have misunderstood what you mean.
    Thanks.
    Hope it helps,
    Hua Jun

3)  

k

Monday, April 7, 2008 4:49 AM
  • User2099608632 posted

Hi hua,

Thank you for your suggestions. I tried that and still, I cannot access the page [:(]. I did both steps you mentioned, yet I still get the error:

The XML page cannot be displayed

Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

A name was started with an invalid character. Error processing resource 'file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/[folder]/[page]

<%@ Page Language="vb" Debug="true" %>
    -^

Perhaps this information might help....on the navigation link, I linked the ASPX page directly. I.e. <a href="mypage.aspx"> -- am I supposed to do it a different way?

Thanks!

Monday, April 7, 2008 10:46 AM
  • User1304411970 posted

What is the ASP.NET version that your website is published under?

If that version does not match the version on your local IIS installation then that error pops up.

I just installed visual studio 2008 and am having the same problem. I even installed asp.net version 3.5 on my machine, but it does not show up under IIS.

IIS version  6

Saturday, April 26, 2008 5:06 PM
  • User7880358 posted

The problem can be solve if u install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 ...

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 9:54 PM