How to find out Device information in Javascript RRS feed

• Question

• I am writing an app for Win8 in javascript and html to be used for different devices. I want to be able to find some information about the device being used.

1. Device Name - Product, model, device, or a custom name for the device

2. OS name - Name of the OS like Win8 or Win7

I know this program will run primarily in Win8, just wanted to see if there was a function to return the OS name

3. OS version - Version of the OS

4. Device UUID - ID for the device

I know navigator.platform will return some information. Any other functions i can use?

Friday, July 6, 2012 8:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to know whether you are using Metro, please note Metro only strands by Windows 8. It doesn’t stand by Windows 7.

Currently we cannot get an OS version in a Metro information, even the native function GetVersionEx (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724451(v=vs.85).aspx) is stood by desktop applications.

>> Device UUID - ID for the device

There also has no anything like the device GUID. You may want to use IP address to uniquely identify a device (but IP can change), it is recommended that you do not identify the client based on the device. Instead, you can identify the client based on the user, which works across the devices that user owns. For example, use the user’s Live ID, or a custom identity provider.

Best Regards,

Ming Xu.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.
    If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Microsoft One Code Framework

Monday, July 9, 2012 11:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to know whether you are using Metro, please note Metro only strands by Windows 8. It doesn’t stand by Windows 7.

Currently we cannot get an OS version in a Metro information, even the native function GetVersionEx (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724451(v=vs.85).aspx) is stood by desktop applications.

>> Device UUID - ID for the device

There also has no anything like the device GUID. You may want to use IP address to uniquely identify a device (but IP can change), it is recommended that you do not identify the client based on the device. Instead, you can identify the client based on the user, which works across the devices that user owns. For example, use the user’s Live ID, or a custom identity provider.

Best Regards,

Ming Xu.

Monday, July 9, 2012 11:02 AM
  • This will primarily run in Metro. The problem I am having is I want to obtain information about the device the user is using. Are there any other functions that would return this information in a Metro application?

-MattB

Monday, July 9, 2012 4:38 PM
  • Hi,

>>  Are there any other functions that would return this information in a Metro application?

As I mentioned in my previous reply. I am afraid that we cannot get this kind of information.

Best Regards,

Ming Xu.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 10:35 AM
  • I'm wondering if this has changed since you answered almost a month ago :)
    Is any of that info available on RTM ?

http://bit.ly/sebagomez

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 3:28 PM