EW4 asks to refresh data source schema after update to .Net 3.5 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I just updated a website to .Net 3.5 and now EW4 is asking to refresh the schema for existing data source connections. Also on a new ASPX page EW4 cannot see the data sources listed in web.config which were created using EW2 and .Net 2

If I refresh the schema will I break existing page components like datagrids which were created in .Net 2?

Saturday, September 11, 2010 3:48 PM

Answers

• "If I create a new ASPX page, EW4 does not know there are any data sources and wants to create a new data source."

Of course. You have to put a datasource on the page.

Be aware that a datasouce is not the same thing as the the database itself.  You can have multiple datasources on the page (and in different pages) all using the same database (as well as using different databases or other data sources).

Refreshing the database schema generally means you have changed the configuration of the datasource, and if you say yes, you'll get the default GridView, ListView, etc. that you would get for the current configuration of the datasource if you put a new GridView, ListView, etc. on the page.  If you have edited those and customized the display, templates, etc., your customizations will be lost.

Typically you'd create a new datasource for a new datacontrol on the page.  It can reference the same database.  Then the issue of refreshing the schema wouldn't arise.

If you are getting that "refresh" message without having reconfigured the datasource, I'm unfamiliar with what is happening.

• Marked as answer by BayTree Sunday, September 12, 2010 6:30 AM
    Saturday, September 11, 2010 11:21 PM

All replies

• If you are using Net 3.5, you need a different web.config.  EW should be asking you if you want it to update the web.config.  Is that what you are talking about?
    Saturday, September 11, 2010 7:10 PM
  • Hi Kathy

Yes, it asked me and I updated the web config which added a load of code.

Now, if I add a Listview to a page where there is already a Datagrid EW4 says it wants to refresh the schema for the data source. Wha?

If I create a new ASPX page, EW4 does not know there are any data sources and wants to create a new data source.

The old/existing SQLServer data source is listed in the updated web.config same as it was in the old web.config

My question is: if I refresh the schema as requested, will all my existing page components like DataGrids stop working because they were created with EW2 and .Net2? What is this refreshing process?

Saturday, September 11, 2010 8:54 PM
  • "If I create a new ASPX page, EW4 does not know there are any data sources and wants to create a new data source."

Of course. You have to put a datasource on the page.

Be aware that a datasouce is not the same thing as the the database itself.  You can have multiple datasources on the page (and in different pages) all using the same database (as well as using different databases or other data sources).

Refreshing the database schema generally means you have changed the configuration of the datasource, and if you say yes, you'll get the default GridView, ListView, etc. that you would get for the current configuration of the datasource if you put a new GridView, ListView, etc. on the page.  If you have edited those and customized the display, templates, etc., your customizations will be lost.

Typically you'd create a new datasource for a new datacontrol on the page.  It can reference the same database.  Then the issue of refreshing the schema wouldn't arise.

If you are getting that "refresh" message without having reconfigured the datasource, I'm unfamiliar with what is happening.

• Marked as answer by BayTree Sunday, September 12, 2010 6:30 AM
    Saturday, September 11, 2010 11:21 PM
  • Many thanks Kathy
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 6:31 AM