Kinect Effect: Commercial Timeframe Announcement RRS feed

• General discussion

• This week marks the one year anniversary of Kinect's release. Please see today's blog post on the official Microsoft Blog titled Feeling the Kinect Effect. It includes an announcement about the timeframe of our release:

"So, what’s next? To further fuel innovation and imagination, we will offer a Kinect for Windows commercial software developer kit early next year. We recognize the intense commercial interest in harnessing the capabilities of Kinect, and are working with a wide range of companies and developers to create a great set of tools and APIs. In fact, our commercial pilot program has already received more than 200 applications from top companies in more than 20 countries spanning 25 unique industries, eager to explore the possibilities of Kinect beyond Xbox 360!"

-- Kinect for Windows team

Monday, October 31, 2011 4:51 PM

All replies

• Hiello Rob

Congratulations to all that worked so hard to give us the kinect !!!! its truly a wonderful innovative device. And its one year existence surely need some celebrating.

I'm verry happy for the kinect team that so many people seem to be working with and on the next version of the of the Kinect SDK. 

I do start to wonder abit about the future of the Non Commercial SDK since I intend to make opensource tools and programs for all to use.

Will the great set of tools and API´s be available for non commercial use as well? and can we join in the beta testing of these tools?

Kind regards

Bill

Monday, October 31, 2011 6:28 PM
  • So when is the commercial SDK going to be available to us for use/comparison with the non-commercial SDK?
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 4:41 PM
  • Commercial SDK will be available in early 2012.
    I'm here to help
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 10:25 PM
  • and free with msdn aa? :)
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 10:39 AM
  • Hey,

That's gr8 news :)

-Ajit

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 12:19 PM
  • Is it public whether or not the commercial SDK will replace the non-commercial SDK?  Put differently, will there be concurrent development of both SDKs?

What sort of thing will distinguish the two?  Will it just be the software libraries included (e.g. maybe the commercial SDK will come with gesture recognition built-in) or will there be full-stop differences (e.g. the commercial SDK might see ALL sensor data, but non-commercial would still be restricted to 850cm-4000cm)?  Is there any info re pricing, etc.?

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 1:20 PM
  • @Bill SvO–

Yes, we plan to allow people to use our commercial SDK for non-commercial purposes too. When can you beta test? You already are. Beta 1, Beta 1 refresh, and Beta 2 (coming soon) all are beta versions of Kinect for Windows. As we complete our first version, our license will change…enabling the existing non-commercial uses as well as opening up new commercial uses.

@mattharvest/@duWichtel-
    We aren't yet providing more details: are there differences for commercial/non-commercial, licensing details, etc…

Thanks, Rob
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 9:02 PM
  • Hello Rob

That's great news !!!!  

I think allowing non-commercial use of the full SDK will proof to be long-term beneficial for the developers community and Microsoft.   

Thanks for sharing we will have a Beta 2 (soon) wish the team all the best in finishing it. 

Kind regards 

Bill

Thursday, November 3, 2011 4:00 PM
  • Hi

are there any chances that there will be a playback functionality of recorded streams with an afterwards skeleton tracking included?

regards

Benedikt

Monday, November 21, 2011 10:31 AM
  • Question about adding a special kinect purchasing program for us that already have a software volume licenseing program allow us if we are mass purchasing kinect to have a volume licensing program that will give us a discount or be offered discounts for major purchases like lets say 100 kinects at a time? because i plan on implementing a project of mine at my work which is a school internally for the teachers but the biggest thing people are going to ask probably a lot when the offical commerical version comes out is multiple purchasing options for kinect and features of the commerical sdk.
    Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt.

• Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, November 23, 2011 5:26 PM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 5:24 PM