Exporting Data to MS Project: PS 2007 - Can we sort data within project using Task level custom field RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are using PS 2007. Just that a plan has to be shared with customer. I export the project to excel by creating a map. Then open this excel in ms project to save as Project again with the exising map created.

If the original plan contains a task level field called TL001 and this has value (yes/no with default value set to "No"). My question is when i export this to excel , i want to move only those tasks in the plan to excel whose value for "TL001" reads as "NO". This ensures that the other tasks with value "Yes" are not exported to excel. So later when i generate project from excel i will have the updated plan.

My main idea is that i want to exclude tasks which have value set to "YES" for tasks in the original plan. Can i achieve this during mapping or any other way exists please advise

Thanks

mp

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:35 PM

Answers

• Max_Pin,

Yes, create a filter in Project that filters for whatever field contains the "TL001" data. When you create the export map you can apply that filter when setting up the fields mapping in the export wizard.

I haven't actually tried this to see if thee are any little gotchas but it looks like it should be just what you want.

John 

• Proposed as answer by Rod Gill Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mac_cs Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:48 AM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:52 PM

All replies

• Max_Pin,

Yes, create a filter in Project that filters for whatever field contains the "TL001" data. When you create the export map you can apply that filter when setting up the fields mapping in the export wizard.

I haven't actually tried this to see if thee are any little gotchas but it looks like it should be just what you want.

John 

• Proposed as answer by Rod Gill Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mac_cs Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:48 AM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:52 PM
  • Hi John, Thanks for the response. I went to Project professional , applied filter for the project first to bring up filters to all column headers and for the Task level field,  i clicked the header and clicked on Custom to create a new filter and it works

Thanks

mp

• Edited by Mac_cs Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:48 AM 0000
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 5:01 AM
  • Max_Pin,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:59 PM