Long CDN response times RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using CDN and I decided to perform a load test to check my web application's response time with CDN.

I placed the entire test rig in the cloud, I had 1 controller+10 agents. The simulated user load was 300-500 users.

The web application runs on the 3rd party shared hosting and it uses CDN on Azure.

In the results I noticed that from time to time, the response time for some CDN requests has been more than 60 seconds. And I know for sure that this is not the problem on the client side (test agent). This is because all requests to my shared hosting provider were completing in less than 1 second. Only CDN requests were timing out.

Can anyone provide any hints how I can troubleshoot this? This seems strange that CDN on Azure under simulated load has slower response time than ordinary shared hosting which costs 1 euro per month :)

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 9:30 PM

Answers

• This doesn't seem to be the case any more. Perhaps it was some temporary problem that we stumbled upon.

• Marked as answer by dennis_ff Sunday, November 4, 2012 12:12 PM
    Sunday, November 4, 2012 12:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay.

Appreciate your patience.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 7:02 AM
  • Hi,

>And I know for sure that this is not the problem on the client side (test agent). This is because all requests to my shared hosting provider were completing in less than 1 second. Only CDN requests were timing out.

I doubt this. You said "all requests to my shared hosting provider were completing in less than 1 second". What do the request handlers do on the server side? Do they request external HTTP resources? Is client cache enabled in the response? If condition is different it's not a fair comparison.

Not quite sure but from the symptom probably the reason is the 3rd party hosting provider has some limitation for concurrent http requests.

Could you add some tracing code in the web application to see whether the bottleneck is the external http request? If so try to accessing other HTTP resources (avoid client cache in your test) on the internet to test. It can help to narrrow down this problem.

Allen Chen [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 8:48 AM
  • Hi,

Any update of this issue?

Allen Chen [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 4:13 AM
  • This doesn't seem to be the case any more. Perhaps it was some temporary problem that we stumbled upon.

• Marked as answer by dennis_ff Sunday, November 4, 2012 12:12 PM
    Sunday, November 4, 2012 12:10 PM