none
DataReader vs. DataAdapter RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

I have a problem to understand the DataReader. There is a temp table in a database, I search some values and I have to insert the values in a other (permanent) table. Now I read the values with the Datareader from the temp table like this

sql_IT = "SELECT WeKdnr FROM dbo.tbl_temp_a WHERE Amount <=25 GROUP BY WeKdnr";

cmd.CommandText = sql_IT;

DbDataReader reader = cmd.ExecuteReader();

while (reader.Read())

{

Console.WriteLine(reader["WeKdnr"].ToString());

}

reader.Close();

sql_searchTester = "INSERT INTO dbo.tbl_wt VALUES ("+reader+")";

cmd.CommandText = sql_searchTester;

cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();

How I get the values in a variable and insert it in the other table. thx a lot for your help

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 7:43 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First you need to store your values somewhere - perhaps an ArrayList (.net 1.1) or List<> (.net 2).

And then you will have to insert the values stored in the list one by one.

Or, you might consider using a dataadapter/datatable approach. Combined with batching will yield better performance with less coding.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 8:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First you need to store your values somewhere - perhaps an ArrayList (.net 1.1) or List<> (.net 2).

And then you will have to insert the values stored in the list one by one.

Or, you might consider using a dataadapter/datatable approach. Combined with batching will yield better performance with less coding.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 8:05 AM
  • thx for form your fast answer, I will try it with a dataadapter.  I try this code

SqlDataAdapter sql_select3 = new SqlDataAdapter("SELECT WeKdnr FROM dbo.tbl_temp_a WHERE Amount <=25 GROUP BY WeKdnr", conn);

SqlCommand icmd = new SqlCommand("INSERT INTO dbo.tbl_wt (name) VALUES (?)", conn);

icmd.Parameters.Add(new SqlParameter("WeKdnr", SqlDbType.Char,20));

sql_select3.InsertCommand=icmd;

But i did't work

thx for every help ;o)

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 8:17 AM
  • Now i use an other way. For fill data from one table into a other I just use sql
    sql_InsertTester = "INSERT INTO dbo.tbl_wt "

+ "SELECT wekdnr "

+ "FROM dbo.tbl_a "

+ "WHERE amount<=25 AND "

+ "wekdnr Not IN (SELECT name FROM dbo.tbl_wt "

+ "GROUP BY name) "

+ "GROUP BY wekdnr";

and this work realy good. thx for help

dabro

Thursday, April 27, 2006 12:02 PM