none
ACCESS 2016. CREATING A DATABASE AND MAKING CHANGES. STAND-ALONE APPLICATION. PERSONAL USE ONLY. RRS feed

• Question

• I PURCHASED ACCESS 2016 A FEW DAYS AGO FROM MICROSOFT.

I am trying to develop a small stand alone application, 

which i have done for years in Access 2003.

These are the error messages I get in Access 2016, when running vba code:

1. error 3045

2, file in use.

3. you do not have exclusive permissions.

STAND-ALONE DATABASE: database1

Now to solve the problems list above (1-3):

TO WORK AROUND THE PROBLEMS.

1. create a database, call it database1.

2. Open database1 in exclusive mode, to develop database1, (can edit freely in this mode)

2.1 However, I cannot test here  (reason being error 3045 appears, file already in use).

3. Go out of database and re-open database1 and  run vba code (cannot make changes here, non exclusive mode)

4. To make changes go back in database in exclusive mode.

5. To test go out, open the database to test (non exclusive mode)

6. Access 2003, all the development and testing done when database was opened, full control of database, without limitations.

Thursday, September 27, 2018 5:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, I will move your thread to Access forum:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=accessdev

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Emi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, September 28, 2018 6:47 AM
  • You have to provide some more details here. Is this a single accDB file, or is it on some shared folder and is multi-user?

If this is just stand alone then I would re-boot your computer - this sounds like a "stray" copy of access is running. You could also check the task manager, but a re-boot is your best bet to clear out any background or stray copy of Access. This especially occurs if you "automating" a copy of Access from another application or even Access.

Also if you have linked share point tables, then again the database is ALWAYS opened as exclusive, and that application can ONLY be opened by one user.

So do provide some additional details here - but if this is a multi-user application, then it need to be split.

Regards,

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP, 2003-2017)

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Saturday, September 29, 2018 2:39 AM
  • I've never needed to go into exclusive mode to perform development (with the exception of needing exclusive mode to add a database level password/encrypt a database). 

Does this happen with all your databases, or just one in particular?

Did you create a Trusted Location for your database?

You might want to try an Office Repair.

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2018 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Saturday, September 29, 2018 10:00 AM