none
Adding to a Database Table after connection and deployment RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows Forms App that is connected to a MySQL database.  I created the tables in the database and inserted some dummy data for testing and everything worked just as planned.

The program has been connected long enough that I've found a design flaw and I need to update one of the tables in the database to hold 1 more row of information than originally thought.

What would be the best way to update the table without messing up the current datasets and relationships already implemented in the program?

I will be legendary someday, just not today.
    • Moved by Vicky SongMicrosoft employee Thursday, June 2, 2011 4:47 AM (From:Visual Studio Database Development Tools (Formerly "Database Edition Forum"))
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 7:39 PM

Answers

• Hi mreed72,

Welcome to Dataset forum!

According to your description, You want to update (alter) your table and without changing the current datasets, I don't think it is possible, but if it is nullable column, we needn't change the dataset. I'd like to say data Structure is very important, we shouldn't change them. I think you can use XML to store the extension  records, In this way, you needn't change your current code, I often do in this way.

Have a nice day.

Alan Chen[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 6:46 AM
  • Hi mreed72,

I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions?

If you need further assistance, please feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Have a nice day.

Alan Chen[MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by mreed72 Monday, June 6, 2011 11:46 AM
    Monday, June 6, 2011 2:46 AM

All replies

• Hello mreed72,

I am moving your thread to the ADO.NET Dataset forum so that you can get better response.

Thanks,

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Thursday, June 2, 2011 4:47 AM
  • Hi mreed72,

Welcome to Dataset forum!

According to your description, You want to update (alter) your table and without changing the current datasets, I don't think it is possible, but if it is nullable column, we needn't change the dataset. I'd like to say data Structure is very important, we shouldn't change them. I think you can use XML to store the extension  records, In this way, you needn't change your current code, I often do in this way.

Have a nice day.

Alan Chen[MSFT]

Thursday, June 2, 2011 6:46 AM
  • Hi mreed72,

I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions?

If you need further assistance, please feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Have a nice day.

Alan Chen[MSFT]

• Marked as answer by mreed72 Monday, June 6, 2011 11:46 AM
    Monday, June 6, 2011 2:46 AM