none
Windows 8 Product Key to Activate Windows as provided by MSDN subsription does not work RRS feed

• Question

• I have downloaded Window 8 64x English United Kingdom , and started the installation on a laptop. I then claimed a Windows 8 Pro and Windows 8 product key, on my MSDN subscriber page and tried to enter this on the first screen as requested by the installer. The installer however says "we couldnt verify the product key, Please check your installation media" Am I missing something?  Tried both keys and no luck
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 5:52 PM

Answers

• Dear Leon,

Thanks for providing the ISO name. For the above ISO both Windows 8 Pro and Windows 8 (Core) Keys should work and the edition is depends on the product key. The ISO might be corrupt so I would suggest you to compare the downloaded ISO (SHA1) values against MSDN Subscription Page to check the ISO integrity.

Regards,
    prathaprabhu

• Marked as answer by LeonNel7 Thursday, November 8, 2012 4:55 AM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 12:39 PM
  •  The installer however says "we couldnt verify the product key, Please check your installation media"

this message suggests either installation media faulty/corrupted, or, an internet connectivity problem (product key validation occurs locally on the machine to confirm that the key is entered correctly, but the verification/activation occurs via internet connection to an activation server)

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:41 PM

All replies

• Dear Leon,

Can you please name the ISO because you may have downloaded "N" Edition otherwise it should work Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8 MSDN Retail Key. If possible plesae post the screenshot.

Regards,
    prathaprabhu

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 12:02 AM
  • Dear prathaprabhu

the iso is I downloaded = en-gb_windows_8_x64_dvd_915412. Screenshot, will be difficult unless I take a photo with ny cellphone (as it is on the setup from boot screen) + i dont want to nessecarily show the licence key on a public forum

• Edited by LeonNel7 Wednesday, November 7, 2012 11:59 AM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 11:34 AM
  • Dear Leon,

Thanks for providing the ISO name. For the above ISO both Windows 8 Pro and Windows 8 (Core) Keys should work and the edition is depends on the product key. The ISO might be corrupt so I would suggest you to compare the downloaded ISO (SHA1) values against MSDN Subscription Page to check the ISO integrity.

Regards,
    prathaprabhu

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 12:39 PM
  • Not a bad suggestion from Pratha.  If you still see issues you can contact me directly by clicking the Site Feedback link at the bottom of the MSDN Subscriptions Download page, and I can work with you in private to make sure you're using the right key. 

So you know, its unlikely that there is something wrong with the keys we've provided as we've had thousands of downloads in the past few months and no reports of systematic issues with the keys we've provided.  Windows installations are incredibly complicated things and if this amounts to an installation issue, your best bet for help is over at http://answers.microsoft.com in the Windows section.

Thanks,
    MIke

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 2:57 PM
  •  The installer however says "we couldnt verify the product key, Please check your installation media"

this message suggests either installation media faulty/corrupted, or, an internet connectivity problem (product key validation occurs locally on the machine to confirm that the key is entered correctly, but the verification/activation occurs via internet connection to an activation server)

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:41 PM
  • HI All.

The problem was resolved by re-writing the ISO image to a DVD disk. The Hash was correct, howver something muts have happened during th ISO image burn. Anyway, Its intstalled now

Thanks

Leon

Thursday, November 8, 2012 4:53 AM
  • In addition, Tip - when burning the ISO image to the DVD please write at low speed (4x or 8x) and make sure to verify the data.

Regards,
    prathaprabhu

Thursday, November 8, 2012 1:04 PM
  • All that I did was check the hash, and the key started working. . .
    Tuesday, November 4, 2014 10:12 PM