none
Exhausting Outbound Connection

Question

• We are exhausting outbound connection from Service Fabric cluster, how can I monitor the number of outbound connection and is there any kind of alerting that can be setup when we reach a threshold.
    Thursday, April 18, 2019 10:15 AM

Answers

All replies

• I don't believe I have seen anyone encounter this issue before... I assume you are running your cluster in Azure and not on prem correct? 

Could you share some logs/ error messages? 

Thursday, April 18, 2019 6:49 PM
  • Cluster is hosted in Azure.

Let me rephrase for clarity sake, How do i monitor Outbound connection to 1) my load balancer and 2) Service Fabric Cluster. 

Thank you for your time

Sunday, April 21, 2019 8:43 AM
  • Thanks for clarifying. Many people reach out for clusters they are running on prem as well so just wanted to verify. 

If you select the Resource Group associated with your SF cluster you will see a list of all the resources including the load balancer

Once you select the load balancer you have a couple of options to look into. 

- Load Balancing Logs
    - Diagnostic settings to help monitor connections and events

Using the diagnostic settings seems to be your best bet. Here is the doc for how to setup monitoring for Load Balancers 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/load-balancer/load-balancer-monitor-log

There is also some information in the above doc about porting info to powerBI for easier accessibility. 

As per monitoring the actual cluster, if you go to the resource group associated with the cluster you can actually select the scaleset running your SF cluster. 

From there, we offer alerts, Metrics and monitoring. You could setup some metrics to monitor your cluster further.

I would start with playing around with all these settings to see if they can capture what you are looking for. If not let me know and I can dig in further. 

Monday, April 22, 2019 6:39 PM
  • Hi Micah;

Thank you for the update. I looked through as you mentioned but did not find anything specific to monitor outbound connection.

Am I missing something here perhaps you could guide me. Thanks a ton for all the support.

Much Appreciated

Monday, April 29, 2019 4:30 PM
  • Try this instead. Go to the VMSS instance that is your Service Fabric Cluster. Select metrics and select one of the outbound network options

Monday, April 29, 2019 7:07 PM
  • Hi Micah

I don't see metrics regarding the number of connections only Network Out Total. My end goal here is to monitor the total number of outbound connection that are connecting to the service.

Thanks once again for all the time and effort.

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 3:31 PM
  • The next best thing you could look into might be Application Insights integration with SF 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/service-fabric/service-fabric-diagnostics-event-analysis-appinsights

I am not finding much for monitoring outbound connections from the cluster. Seems most the tools focus around inbound connections and overall network out rather than a specific outbound connection. 

For that specific information you could also try looking at the specific logs of the nodes. So for example, if you are running a windows clusters there are some logs that do show outbound connections. From there you could attempt to export the logs to a storage account and connect a log anlaytics workspace to look through them. Overall it seems like outbound connections are not something many users are monitoring so the tools to actually look into them seem limited.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/storageservices/enabling-storage-logging-and-accessing-log-data

I also found a list of available performance counters you can monitor in SF 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/service-fabric/service-fabric-diagnostics-event-generation-perf
    • Marked as answer by Raven Peaks Monday, May 6, 2019 11:30 AM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2019 5:59 PM
  • Any update on this issue? 

If a suggestion was useful, remember to upvote and mark as answer so others in the community can easily find it. 

Friday, May 3, 2019 6:59 PM
  • Hi Micah;

Thanks for the help.

Monday, May 6, 2019 11:30 AM