what's the name of this anti-pattern? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - I've been on a few projects where the company has built an architecture on top of a public framework that actually made the original framework more difficult to use.  For example, the .NET framework is a popular and proven framework for application development. It has a proven framework for data access.

I worked on one project where the architecture team had implemented a framework around the .NET data access framework.  The architecture implementation was so poor that even the architects on the architecture team were unable to describe how to use it to get data from a stored proc.

So considering I've seen this issue a few times over the course of my career I'm guessing that this issue has been defined as an "anti-pattern." Does anyone know if this issue has been defined as an anti-pattern and if so then do you know the name that's associated with this anti-pattern?

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:38 PM

All replies

• Looking to your problems statement it can come under below anti pattern type

1. Accidental complexity (Providing an unnecessary complexity to a solution)         
    2. Cargo cult programming
    3. Overlooking Parent Behavior

You can refer this wiki link and map to your behavior .

Lingaraj Mishra

Friday, November 9, 2012 10:22 AM
  • It is a typical overengineering :)

It also could be "don't study an existed code/framework, do the new code" syndrome. Sometimes it is clinical case but usually all developers can do such a mistake. 

It also could be a typical case of the "architect is a king, developers are cows" mania. Cure is to fire all 10 architects in a full team of 11  and live only with one experienced developer. 

Leonid Ganeline [BizTalk MVP] BizTalkien: Advanced Questions

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 5:49 AM
  • i defined anti pattern as like this , any Pattern that violates fundamental OO Principles can be treated as anti pattern 
    Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:39 AM