Using external cellular modem for PPP RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using an external cellular modem and want to establish a PPP connection to the cellular network. I'm using RasDial() and am limited to the platform SDK and coding in C++. How do I get WinCE 6.0 to send the dial string? Right now, it sends 'ATZ', waits a while, and then sends the escape sequence "+++", like it thinks it's in data modem and wants to go to command mode. Then it sends short binary strings. Perhaps these are part of PPP?

I set the dial string to "*99***1#" in the RAS phonebook entry, but it didn't get sent, so I tried setting it the RASDIALPARAMS struct I passed to RasDial and it still didn't get sent? How is it supposed to work?
    Monday, February 23, 2009 9:18 PM

All replies

• Hi jeff,
    Did you look read this article? http://www.e-consystems.com/gprs.asp
    Sounds like it can guide to what you want.

Shai
    • Edited by Shaihi Tuesday, February 24, 2009 11:45 AM updated link
    • Marked as answer by Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT Monday, March 2, 2009 2:00 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by JeffThompson1 Wednesday, March 4, 2009 2:17 PM
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 11:44 AM
  • Shai,

This is the most helpful answer I've ever received on the forums! My device does not have a display, so I can't set the dialstring in the same way that the article describes. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 2:11 PM
  • I never used the RasDial() and all API related.
    What I'd suggest to you is if you have another device with a display you can do the following:
    1. Save its registry before doing changes.
    2. Do the changes described in the article with the modification you think fit your device.
    3. Dump the registry again
    4. Do a text diff
    5. Take the ras entry that was created and put it in the displayless device
    6. Pray for it to work... :)
    Regarding RasDial, you can try to ask in the newsgroups (I don't think I have seen your question over there), I think there are many people with experience in RAS programming over there.
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded/topics

Shai

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 6:35 PM
  •  

I got past this problem by adding a couple of registry entries:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Dial]
    ; What is Location ID (value name) for the current location
    "CurrentLoc"=dword:2

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Dial\Locations]
    "2" = multi_sz:"Lab", "G", "G", "G", "456", " ", "1", "0"

The next hurdle was getting through authentication. I think I accomplished this by setting the RASEO_ProhibitPap flag—the cellular network to which I'm connecting does not use login name and password.

The current problem is the NCP negotiation phase. The DTE send an IPCP request with IP address, and primary/secondary DNS/WINS addresses, set to 0.0.0.0. The DCE responds with a Terminate Request, which the DTE ACKs, and session is dropped.

Any ideas on what might be wrong at this point?

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 2:17 PM