none
Saving blob in Archive Tier RRS feed

• Question

• I understand that I can only save Blob's in hot or cold tier. Later on I can switch the tier to Archive. Does that mean I pay for the write operation twice. Once to write to Hot/Cold, then again to archive (while switching the tier back to archive)?

Reference: 

• Only the hot and cool access tiers can be set at the account level.
    • When a blob is moved to a cooler tier (hot->cool, hot->archive, or cool->archive), the operation is billed as a write operation to the destination tier, where the write operation (per 10,000) and data write (per GB) charges of the destination tier apply.

• Edited by Taiob Ali Monday, July 1, 2019 8:15 PM
    Monday, July 1, 2019 8:02 PM

Answers

• Thanks for posting Taiob Ali, That is correct, the initial save of blobs into storage would be  a write operation in cool or hot, then switching to archive would be another operation: 

When a blob is moved to a cooler tier (hot->cool, hot->archive, or cool->archive), the operation is billed as a write operation to the destination tier, where the write operation (per 10,000) and data write (per GB) charges of the destination tier apply.

When a blob is moved to a warmer tier (archive->cool, archive->hot, or cool->hot), the operation is billed as a read from the source tier, where the read operation (per 10,000) and data retrieval (per GB) charges of the source tier apply. The following table summarizes how tier changes are billed.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,
    Adam
    Monday, July 1, 2019 8:46 PM

All replies

• Thanks for posting Taiob Ali, That is correct, the initial save of blobs into storage would be  a write operation in cool or hot, then switching to archive would be another operation: 

When a blob is moved to a cooler tier (hot->cool, hot->archive, or cool->archive), the operation is billed as a write operation to the destination tier, where the write operation (per 10,000) and data write (per GB) charges of the destination tier apply.

When a blob is moved to a warmer tier (archive->cool, archive->hot, or cool->hot), the operation is billed as a read from the source tier, where the read operation (per 10,000) and data retrieval (per GB) charges of the source tier apply. The following table summarizes how tier changes are billed.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,
    Adam
    Monday, July 1, 2019 8:46 PM
  • Adam,

Thank you for your response. That answers my question. As a follow up can I upload a blob directly as archive access tier instead of switching after I load into hot or cold.  AzCopy does not do it. I did not see an option in 'Azure storage explorer' or in portal while uploading using GUI.

Best regards,

Taiob

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 3:43 AM
  • You're going to have to upload to a hot or cool tier and then change to the archive tier. It cannot be done as a single step (yet). Through the Azure Portal this is a several clicks action per blob. Azure Storage Explorer is no better. You can perform this multiple step process with Powershell. It would then still be multiple steps, but done automated.
    Tuesday, July 2, 2019 5:23 AM
  • You're welcome Taiob Ali@ , unfortunately it's not currently supported to save blobs directly into the Archive Access tier, you have to save it in hot or cool (cool is slightly cheaper), then set the access tier to archive afterwards, let me know if this helps.

Thanks,
    Adam
    Tuesday, July 2, 2019 5:11 PM
  • @Taiob Ali Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.
    Wednesday, July 10, 2019 6:47 AM