none
Visual Studio 2017 - Porting Desktop C++ to UWP C++ RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I want to port a desktop C++ solution to an UWP solution in order to deploy it on my Raspberry Pi 3B+ with Windows IoT Core installed. I know that there is Window Application Packaging which can make .appx files but ARM is not available. Since Raspberry Pi uses ARMv7, I don't think that I can use WAPP projects. 

Do I have to rewrite the entire code in a UWP project or is there another way ? Thank you.

Bests regards,

Owlowish

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 8:53 AM

Answers

• Hello Owlowish,

Window Application Packaging will not rebuild the app for ARM architecture. Even you have built the app for ARM architecture, the app maybe can not work on Windows IoT Core. In addition, IoT Core runs the IoT Shell, it will launch a single registered startup app that will show its UI in full screen (also known as a Headed app). It is different with the desktop.

So you need to rewrite the entire code in a C++ UWP project.

Best Regards,

Michael

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 10:02 AM

All replies

• Hello Owlowish,

Window Application Packaging will not rebuild the app for ARM architecture. Even you have built the app for ARM architecture, the app maybe can not work on Windows IoT Core. In addition, IoT Core runs the IoT Shell, it will launch a single registered startup app that will show its UI in full screen (also known as a Headed app). It is different with the desktop.

So you need to rewrite the entire code in a C++ UWP project.

Best Regards,

Michael

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 10:02 AM
  • Thank you for your reply Michael. If I understand correctly, you also recommand to rewrite the code for remote machines running on x64 ?
    Tuesday, May 21, 2019 11:12 AM
  • Hello Owlowish,

Did you mean the x64 is Windows IoT Core x64? If yes, you also need to rewrite the code. 

Best Regards,

Michael

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 1:25 AM