RDS for Vehicle Monitoring and Control RRS feed

• Question

• I'm desiging a POC for monitoring vehicle information off the CAN bus, displaying it, and sending it to a central server. I'm currently using the .Net Micro Framework and was curious if RDS would be a better platform since it handles asynchronous messaging better. The design incorporates CAN, Bluetooth, GPS, Cellular, SSD, TTS, Zigbee, and other modules. At this stage there is no controlling of the vehicle but that may evolve later. I would appreciate any comments on the differences between RDS and the Micro Framework and any thoughts on this type of scenario.

Also, if this is feasible, are there any companies selling development boards for RDS like GHI for the Micro Framework?

Thanks - Mark. 

Tuesday, July 7, 2009 5:26 PM

Answers

• I am doing something similar only with NMEA data off the NMEA bus. I see many advantages to using RDS, not the least of which being that new applications can be added dynamically while the system is running.

As an example, suppose you have program that collects engine RPM from the CAN bus. Potentially several other applications may be interested in monitoring engine RPM, but it may not be clear at the start of your project what all these potential applications are. When you use RDS you can have your program which gets RPM from the CAN bus "post" this data as a message to RDS. then other program(s) can ask RDS to subscribe to this message. Further these other programs need not be running on the same computer, they could be on a different computer on the LAN.

So suppose you had a vehicle with an onboard LAN and setup a program to collect several pieces of data from the CAN bus, filter or otherwise sanitise the data and post it off to RDS as a seperate message for each type of data (RPM, oil pressure, voltage etc.). You could start up the car and all thius would be flowing and being logged by RDS. Now someone could plug a laptop computer into the LAN (while the car is running) and a brand new program on the laptop could "subscribe" to just the messages it wanted (voltage and water temp for example) by asking RDS for those messages). This assumes of course that the appropriate security permissions were setup in advance to allow this new computer to ask for the messages.

This kind of modularity and flexibility of design is a big advantage of RDS in my opinion.

John Tarbox

PS: Your project sounds very interesting, are you blogging about it?
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 6:20 PM