none
How to Create an Outlook Contact from Selected Signature in a Received Email RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using Outlook 2010 and desiring a method to quickly create an outlook contact from signature.

I often recieve many emails whcih contain the senders' signatures. The signatures are very detailed. They contain the sender name, email address, company, job tile, phone number and so on.

Therefore, I hope to quickly create such a contact with the coresponding contact details in the correct Contact fields. Is there any way to realize it? I know how to create an Outlook Contact from email, but how about from signature?

Perhaps it may demand using Outlook VBA. But I am a fresh in VBA, so I totally have no idea about it. Anyone can help me?

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!!!

Shirley

Monday, February 6, 2017 7:58 AM

Answers

• Hello Shirley,

You need to parse the message body to get all the required information from emails. The Outlook object model doesn't provide any property or methods especially for that (extracting contact details from signatures).

The Outlook object model provides three main ways for working with item bodies:

1. Body - a string representing the clear-text body of the Outlook item. 
    2. HTMLBody - a string representing the HTML body of the specified item.
    3. Word editor - the Microsoft Word Document Object Model of the message being displayed. The WordEditor property of the Inspector class returns an instance of the Document class from the Word object model which you can use to set up the message body.

You can read more about all these ways in the Chapter 17: Working with Item Bodies. It us up to you which way is to choose to extract all the required data from the message body.

Finally, you may find the Getting Started with VBA in Outlook 2010 article helpful. 

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Monday, February 6, 2017 12:58 PM

All replies

• Hello Shirley,

You need to parse the message body to get all the required information from emails. The Outlook object model doesn't provide any property or methods especially for that (extracting contact details from signatures).

The Outlook object model provides three main ways for working with item bodies:

1. Body - a string representing the clear-text body of the Outlook item. 
    2. HTMLBody - a string representing the HTML body of the specified item.
    3. Word editor - the Microsoft Word Document Object Model of the message being displayed. The WordEditor property of the Inspector class returns an instance of the Document class from the Word object model which you can use to set up the message body.

You can read more about all these ways in the Chapter 17: Working with Item Bodies. It us up to you which way is to choose to extract all the required data from the message body.

Finally, you may find the Getting Started with VBA in Outlook 2010 article helpful. 

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Monday, February 6, 2017 12:58 PM
  • Outlook does not have built-in functionality like that  There are some third party products that do that, but I don't think any of them are standalone - most are Outlook addins for existing CRM products.

You can definitely parse the message body to extract the data, but it is far from being trivial (unless you have  background in AI programming). I wrote feature like that once - it is definitely fun, but expect to write thousands of lines of code and spend weeks if not months polishing it if you want it to work in better than 90% of the cases.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

Monday, February 6, 2017 3:23 PM
  • Thanks a lot. :)

Finally I just select to add the signature to the Contact's Notes part.

Friday, February 10, 2017 8:12 AM
  • Thanks a lot. :)

Finally I just select to add the signature to the Contact's Notes part.

Friday, February 10, 2017 8:12 AM
  • Hi,

I suggest you mark helpful post as answer or your solution to close the thread.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 13, 2017 6:44 AM