Using the Search Service : Documents that I do not have permission to view is displayed. RRS feed

• Question

• When using the Search Service, the results display files that I should not have access to view.

If I try opening the file, It does not open because I dont have access to it. I should not be seeing the files in the first place.

MossFarmAdmin and MossSearchSvc has Read and Execute access to the Folder.

Any ideas as to why this is happening and to a possible solution?

Thanks a mil.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 3:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Nalini,

Firefox and Chrome cannot open a shared file link in search results. Please make sure you are opening the shared file link with Internet Explorer.

If the issues exists in Internet Explorer, check the ULS logs to see if there are more specific error message about this issue.

And it would be better if you can provide the screenshot of the error which displays on the page when opening the file for further research.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Victoria Xia Sunday, March 27, 2016 12:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Victoria Xia Tuesday, March 29, 2016 11:43 AM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 6:41 AM

All replies

• If you've set permissions so your user account can see the file exists, but not open it, then you will get exactly this result.

When you run a search are you seeing the file and a snippet of the content or are you merely seeing that the file exists? Try to compare the search results for a file you can open and a file you cannot, you should see substantially less information for the latter.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 3:13 PM
  • The Search is displaying the File and a snipet of the content (The Search feature is used to search for files on a File Share Server).

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 4:50 PM
  • That implies that the ACLs are not being identified correctly either for the file or for your user.

Has the security changed on that file since the last crawl? Can you check the crawl history for that item to confirm it is being indexed?

This is quite an unusual event, i've never seen or heard of a case where information has leaked because SharePoint failed to operate correctly, although incorrect permissions and user mis-understanding is common. Can you confirm your product version and any details about the file server?

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 5:39 PM
  • File Server is a Windows 2012. We are using SharePoint 2010.

The security has not changed since the last crawl. The following are the error for that CRAWL

Count Error message
    210 The filtering process could not be initialized when trying to process this item. Verify that the file extension is a known type and the item is not corrupt.
    12 The docfile has been corrupted.
    4 The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070020)
    1 Access is denied. Verify that either the Default Content Access Account has access to this repository, or add a crawl rule to crawl this repository. If the repository being crawled is a SharePoint repository, verify that the account you are using has "Full Read" permissions on the SharePoint Web Application being crawled.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 8:04 PM
  • Check the path to the file itself, you need to see when that item was last successfully crawled. The last error in particular could mean that your entire fileserver was missed, or it could be irrelevant.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2016 8:33 PM
  • Hi Nalini,

Firefox and Chrome cannot open a shared file link in search results. Please make sure you are opening the shared file link with Internet Explorer.

If the issues exists in Internet Explorer, check the ULS logs to see if there are more specific error message about this issue.

And it would be better if you can provide the screenshot of the error which displays on the page when opening the file for further research.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Victoria Xia Sunday, March 27, 2016 12:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Victoria Xia Tuesday, March 29, 2016 11:43 AM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 6:41 AM