none
USB 3 Device Unable to Start RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Kinect V2, and the SDK.  I believe that I have all the prerequisites.  However, the System Verifyer fails for my USB3.0 connection.... Also, the device manager for the USB3.0 port says the Kinect fails to start.

I am running Windows 8.1 Pro.  My hardware is an i7 core processor, 32GBytes of Ram, NVidea GTX 680, and SIIG Inc. 2-Port USB 2.0, -exactly the one listed in the confirmed list of configurations (SIIG Part Number JU-P20612-S1).

Can anyone offer any suggestions on what I should do next?

Thanks

Dal

Dal

Friday, September 5, 2014 8:51 PM

All replies

• I meant to say "2-Port USB 3.0".

Dal

Friday, September 5, 2014 9:17 PM
  • Try a different PCIx slot. Ensure the slot you are connecting to is on the PCIx Gen 2.0 bus or else you will not get the 5.0GB/s transfer speeds required. If using the suggested card, be sure it is marked as a Gen/Version 2.0 supported card.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 7:01 PM
  • Thanks Carmine.

I believe my setup meets all the requirements you state.  Specifically, I am using a

SIIG Inc. DP 2-Port USB 3.0 PCIe (JU-P20612-S1)

pluged into a PCIe Gen 2 slot on my motherboard.  The packaging for the card states that it is "Compliant with PCI Express Base Specification, Revision 2.0".  Also, the Kinect is the only device plugged into that card.

Although I am pretty sure that the bandwidth requirements are being met, if they aren't, what is the normal failure?  Is it that the "device won't start", as reported by the device manager, or does the failure happen at a later stage?

Thanks,

Dal

Dal

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 9:49 PM
  • It will fails when the driver tries to load the drivers and it attempts to make its reservations on the bus. Kinect uses both ISOC and BULK mode capabilities of USB3 to enable transfer rates of ~2.5GB/s. If you are seeing the Kinect driver not load, it is usually a bandwidth reservation issue.

Try connecting the PCIx card into the GPU slot and move the GPU to another PCIx channel to confirm the operation. The GPU can work in other slots, just you loose on the full speed, but it will be just to confirm where the failure may be occurring.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 4:53 PM