none
Major problems with Entity Framework and VS2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I have Oracle 10g (32 bit) client installed on a Windows 7 Sp2 machine because that's what they told me to use.  The Oracle software seemed to install correctly. (I think.)  I have a massive solution in VS2008 (C#) containing 12 projects that I know absolutely nothing about.  The solution will not compile and the first error is: Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider.  It may not be installed. (in an edmx). 

Where do I even begin to start trouble-shooting this one?  I have no experience at all with Oracle.  I am unable to create a connection in the Server Explorer either, even though it does show a Net Framework Data provider for Oracle.

Saturday, July 9, 2011 9:00 PM

Answers

• If you have not been able to resolve it by now my advice would be - start small. Forget about your big project for a moment and create a simple console application. Create a very simple database in your Oracle database that contains only one table with just 2 columns - Id (primary key) and a string column. Use a wizard to create a model from this database. One of the steps would be to select a provider that will be used to connect to database and then the database itself. If the Oracle provider is not on the list then you will know that you are missing something. If it is there and you are able to generate a model from the database then you will know that your dev environment is fine. If you get to this point start playing a little bit with EF - try add a new entity to the context and save. Check what was saved in the database. Then try reading entities from your database and see what you get. This will allow you to get familiar with EF and will help you understand the code (and possibly the issues) you see.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Pawel

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 5:11 PM

All replies

• On 7/9/2011 5:00 PM, B. Chernick wrote:
    > I have Oracle 10g (32 bit) client installed on a Windows 7 Sp2 machine
    > because that's what they told me to use. The Oracle software seemed to
    > install correctly. (I think.) I have a massive solution in VS2008 (C#)
    > containing 12 projects that I know absolutely nothing about. The
    > solution will not compile and the first error is: /*Unable to find the
    > requested .Net Framework Data Provider. It may not be installed*./ (in
    > an edmx).
    >
    > Where do I even begin to start trouble-shooting this one? I have no
    > experience at all with Oracle. I am unable to create a connection in the
    > Server Explorer either, even though it does show a Net Framework Data
    > provider for Oracle.
    >

If you already had Oracle on the machine and you installed a new
    version,  you may have toasted the one VS knew about. It's about drivers
    needing to be in the right location.

Saturday, July 9, 2011 9:30 PM
  • Actually no, there was no Oracle originally on the machine and I was only trying to install a client to access a database on another server, not an actual server instance.

However please elaborate on the matter of drivers being in the right 'location'.

Just how do you go about troubleshooting that?

Sunday, July 10, 2011 11:58 AM
  • Hi Chernick,

Welcome!

I'm not familiar with Oracle, but we need specify data Provider for different database. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/adonet/archive/2008/08/11/third-party-provider-support-for-the-entity-framework-rtm.aspx 

I think you may need to install the provider firstly: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/dotnet/downloads/oracleefbeta-302521.html the forum here is help: http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1059538

Thanks for understanding.

Have a nice day.

Alan Chen[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, July 11, 2011 9:39 AM
  • Actually all is chaos at this end right now.  It's not even certain if I have the right source code.

However a co-worker stated that the connection was  '.. created with a entitiy connection stringbuilder object, that's why it works during runtime but not design...'

Does this mean anything to you?

Monday, July 11, 2011 2:33 PM
  • Hi Chernick,

I think it may relates how to create a entityconnection: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb738533.aspx

Have a nice day.

Alan Chen[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, July 18, 2011 3:54 AM
  • If you have not been able to resolve it by now my advice would be - start small. Forget about your big project for a moment and create a simple console application. Create a very simple database in your Oracle database that contains only one table with just 2 columns - Id (primary key) and a string column. Use a wizard to create a model from this database. One of the steps would be to select a provider that will be used to connect to database and then the database itself. If the Oracle provider is not on the list then you will know that you are missing something. If it is there and you are able to generate a model from the database then you will know that your dev environment is fine. If you get to this point start playing a little bit with EF - try add a new entity to the context and save. Check what was saved in the database. Then try reading entities from your database and see what you get. This will allow you to get familiar with EF and will help you understand the code (and possibly the issues) you see.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Pawel

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 5:11 PM