none
How to Start Extensible Access Point in Windows 7? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I am developing a wi-fi driver (Windows 7 && Ndis 6.20) for my network adapter using the Atheros sample driver, the sample specifies that it supports EXTAP. Without enabling and starting the wireless hosted network is it possible to start the EXTAP? By default, EXTSTA is identified by default port(0) and Soft AP is identified by ndis allocated port , does starting EXTAP means, changing the operation mode of EXTSTA(at default port) to EXTAP? The driver so far developed supports (wifi virtualization) both the station and soft ap modes and both of which are working fine. I tried to start the EXTAP with the following steps:

Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center -> Setup a new Connection or Network -> Setup a New Network (Configure a new router or access point)

then I am getting the following wizard

Therefore, It is not detecting that my adapter supports EXTAP.

How to start the EXTAP?

If EXTAP is started, is it identified by default port?

If it is Identified by the default port, then why it is not showing up in the above wizard (where as the same driver is able to start Soft AP well)?

Whether any services are to be enabled?

Sorry, If I didn't put up my question properly...

Thanks in Advance...

Thursday, May 2, 2013 8:57 AM

Answers

• The "Set up a new network" wizard doesn't use SoftAP/EXTAP.  (It only uses WPS on port 0).

You can enable SoftAP by using tools like Pavel linked to, by running the built-in "Add a device" wizard, or through "netsh hostednetwork".  But the best way to exercise your new driver is to run the WLAN HCK tests.

Thursday, May 2, 2013 5:51 PM

All replies

• The "Set up a new network" wizard doesn't use SoftAP/EXTAP.  (It only uses WPS on port 0).

You can enable SoftAP by using tools like Pavel linked to, by running the built-in "Add a device" wizard, or through "netsh hostednetwork".  But the best way to exercise your new driver is to run the WLAN HCK tests.

Thursday, May 2, 2013 5:51 PM
  • Hi!

Thanks for reply...

Earlier I thought that ExtAP(assumed without station functionality) and Soft AP(along with station) both are different.

Is it possible to develop a wifi driver which only works as a Access Point?

If so can you point to any code samples?

Can you explain the purpose of "Set up a new network wizard" (i.e., can you elaborate on "WPS on port 0"?)? On port 0 only ExtSTA will run, but the the wizard states that "configure a new router or access point", what exactly it means? Does it means, how a station can connect to access point (i.e., either using pbc or pin methods)?

Thanks

Friday, May 3, 2013 2:25 PM