Sharing a Video

Question

• I am interested in using the charms bar share feature to share a video. If I understand correctly, when you select something to share the charms bar (under share) displays all of the applications you have that can share that file type. Well I don't have many apps installed so I was wondering if there were any third-party apps that currently share video.

I am new to sharing and these are the only resources I have found:

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Sharing-Content-Source-App-d9bffd84

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465251.aspx

Can anyone provide me any direction with this? Is there a way for users to share videos (besides in email) or do I have to write that sharing feature myself?

Thanks so much in advance!

Thursday, June 28, 2012 12:20 AM

Answers

• What do you mean by sharing video?

You can use the PlayTo Contract to display a live video in another device.

You can use the Share Contract to share a video file (but not raw video). I expect general share targets such as mail apps will accept video files. Share targets for specific services (the People app, Facebook, etc.) will likely accept video if the service can accept it. The share model is that an app can decide to share its data (such as video files) as a share source and it doesn't need to care where that will share to.

Typically you would write a custom share target if you want to accept sharing to a new service. You can't write a target to just share video without having some idea of where you would share it.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by ejcarp Thursday, June 28, 2012 4:53 PM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:50 AM
    Owner

All replies

• What do you mean by sharing video?

You can use the PlayTo Contract to display a live video in another device.

You can use the Share Contract to share a video file (but not raw video). I expect general share targets such as mail apps will accept video files. Share targets for specific services (the People app, Facebook, etc.) will likely accept video if the service can accept it. The share model is that an app can decide to share its data (such as video files) as a share source and it doesn't need to care where that will share to.

Typically you would write a custom share target if you want to accept sharing to a new service. You can't write a target to just share video without having some idea of where you would share it.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by ejcarp Thursday, June 28, 2012 4:53 PM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:50 AM
    Owner
  • I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. I was talking about sharing a video file through the mail app, Facebook, YouTube, etc. Because the Facebook and YouTube app are not out yet I guess we do not know if they will allow use with the Share Contract.

Thanks for clarifying about the Share Contract, I really appreciate it!

Thursday, June 28, 2012 4:21 PM