none
Project Professional - Make a Custom Field Read Only RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to make a custom TASK level field to be read only?  Maybe a macro or function or something?  I can't seem to find a way to do it.  This is Project Professional 2016 if that matters.

Collin

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 1:54 PM

Answers

• Collin,

Okay, thanks for expanding on your need. Unfortunately there is no automated way to stop anyone from editing the field. Oh you could probably create a Change Event procedure that monitors that field and raises an alert if your PM tries to edit it, but it still won't prevent a change and an event procedure will run every time ANY edit is made, which will slow things down. Or you could do a Close Event procedure that effectively prevents a save if the custom field has been edited, but that's not foolproof either.

Your best bet is training. Make sure the PM knows that is a "sacred" field, not to be changed. You can periodically run an audit routine to insure the PM sticks to the rules.

John

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 6:27 PM
  • This is what I would do: make backup copies of the custom field's data to two other spare custom fields (for example, the last two ones of the same type). Then use one of the spares as a formula to the original field. The user will see the original field but cannot type into it since it is a formula. The second spare is for the brilliant users who are able to modify the formula source. You can compare the original data with the second spare. Arrange the task tables so that they only show the original custom field. Hopefully, MS Project will soon include a feature to password-lock the custom fields to prevent users from editing them. 

Ismet Kocaman | eBook on Formulas

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 8:01 AM
  • If you're willing to get into the world of event procedures, the ProjectBeforeTaskChange event procedure runs very quickly and you can use it to stop a field from being edited. You can put up a message and set the cancel parameter to True, keeping the user form editing the field.
    Friday, October 14, 2016 12:08 AM

All replies

• Collin,

Sorry no, if a user has write access to the file, they will be able to edit any field.

What exactly are you trying to do? There may be alternate ways to achieve what you want.

John

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 2:19 PM
  • Hi John,

What I am trying to do is to have a custom field with pre-populated data from the template that cannot be changed.  But, this is not just a PWA thing - the Project Managers will be opening the file (with that field exposed) in Professional.  I just don't want the Project Manager to change that specific field.

Collin

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 4:13 PM
  • Collin,

Okay, thanks for expanding on your need. Unfortunately there is no automated way to stop anyone from editing the field. Oh you could probably create a Change Event procedure that monitors that field and raises an alert if your PM tries to edit it, but it still won't prevent a change and an event procedure will run every time ANY edit is made, which will slow things down. Or you could do a Close Event procedure that effectively prevents a save if the custom field has been edited, but that's not foolproof either.

Your best bet is training. Make sure the PM knows that is a "sacred" field, not to be changed. You can periodically run an audit routine to insure the PM sticks to the rules.

John

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 6:27 PM
  • This is what I would do: make backup copies of the custom field's data to two other spare custom fields (for example, the last two ones of the same type). Then use one of the spares as a formula to the original field. The user will see the original field but cannot type into it since it is a formula. The second spare is for the brilliant users who are able to modify the formula source. You can compare the original data with the second spare. Arrange the task tables so that they only show the original custom field. Hopefully, MS Project will soon include a feature to password-lock the custom fields to prevent users from editing them. 

Ismet Kocaman | eBook on Formulas

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 8:01 AM
  • If you're willing to get into the world of event procedures, the ProjectBeforeTaskChange event procedure runs very quickly and you can use it to stop a field from being edited. You can put up a message and set the cancel parameter to True, keeping the user form editing the field.
    Friday, October 14, 2016 12:08 AM
  • Thanks Ismet, that might be the easiest way to do it for now.

Collin

Sunday, October 16, 2016 1:48 AM
  • Thanks Bill,

This is a good solution and I might attempt this.

Collin

Sunday, October 16, 2016 1:48 AM
  • Thanks John,

The whole problem seems to be that the training doesn't seem to stick - it does for a little while but always seems to fade away over time.  I like the idea of a procedure and a report - but, of course, that adds more administrative overhead.... 

Collin

Sunday, October 16, 2016 1:51 AM