Cannot migrate db RRS feed

• Question

• I was hoping to get some help on the following message:

Tables without a clustered index are not supported in this version of SQL Server. Please create a clustered index and try again.

In my database I get an update for certain tables manually on a DVD as a CSV file.  I have routines to import this information to my local SQL 2008 R2 db, but then when I try to migrate the data using the migration wizard the BCP fails with the message above.  I tried removing all indecies from teh tables in question. Still go tthe same message.  I believe the message is coming from the fact that you cannot create a clustered index in Azure.  Alas, I hope I am not relegated to using a process by which I have to script out the insert for all the records.

I have tried creating each table with no indexing, with only a primary key on colA. Nothing I do seems to work.

Help?

Thursday, August 26, 2010 2:43 AM

Answers

• I tried removing all indexes that did not help.  I tried then dropped the table in Azure (there was no data in it anyway) and recreate it with out any constraints.  I was finally able to get the data into the table.  But I must warn you.  Azure will not let me create certain types on indexes the same way as a local instance of R2 will.  This makes it very frustrating when designing the system I wish to implement.  Maybe I need to find deeper documentation on SQL Azure to pick up more information about these subtle changes so I can spend my time being more productive. :)  Thanks for the post.
    • Marked as answer by Envisasoft Thursday, August 26, 2010 2:39 PM
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 2:39 PM

All replies

• You don't need to remove an index, you need to either add one that is clustered, or update an existing one, adding clustering.

A requirement of tables in SQL Azure is that they have a clustered index. This can be the primary, or a secondary.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 10:52 AM
  • I tried removing all indexes that did not help.  I tried then dropped the table in Azure (there was no data in it anyway) and recreate it with out any constraints.  I was finally able to get the data into the table.  But I must warn you.  Azure will not let me create certain types on indexes the same way as a local instance of R2 will.  This makes it very frustrating when designing the system I wish to implement.  Maybe I need to find deeper documentation on SQL Azure to pick up more information about these subtle changes so I can spend my time being more productive. :)  Thanks for the post.
    • Marked as answer by Envisasoft Thursday, August 26, 2010 2:39 PM
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 2:39 PM
  • Here are some links that may help you in the future:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff394115.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee336250.aspx

They discuss what is and isn't supported durring in SQL Azure.

Monday, August 30, 2010 1:32 PM