none
how to write #define in VSCT file RRS feed

• Question

• I m trying to do VS SDK upgrade from 2005 to 2019 and in previous version we used .ctc files. I have used ConvertCTCtoVSCT.pl script to convert the ctc files to vsct. The .ctc files contain " #define _CTC_GUIDS_ " which is getting converted into a comment in vsct file. Is there a way to use this #define in vsct file.
    Friday, August 23, 2019 9:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Gagandeep Khurana,

Sorry for delay in reply.

Based on your description, I found the same question in the developer community: #define not supported in VSCT file.

From the latest comment, the ctc and vsct are different, and there is no an appropriate method to implement this feature currently.

Sorry for this inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, August 26, 2019 10:32 AM
  • Hi Gangandeep,

With the older .ctc format, the C++ preprocessor was run directly on the .CTC file, but we don't run the same preprocessor over .vsct files. However, I do believe the _CTC_GUIDS_ is automatically defined when building the .CTO resource from .VSCT files, so when migrating from .CTC to .VSCT, you will see the original #define _CTC_GUIDS_ and the #include, commented out by the ConvertCTCtoVSCT utility, and replaced with something like:

<Extern href="somefile.h"/>

Which is used to import the definitions from the referenced include (.h) file.

I don't think you need to worry about the commented out define here. Or are  you encountering a problem or error message when building the .CTO resource from your .VSCT file?

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Monday, August 26, 2019 9:08 PM