none
How To Progamatically Uninstall the Access 2007 Runtime? RRS feed

• Question

• We have an application that shipped with the Access 2007 Runtime installation package and installed it as part of the package installation.

We are upgrading the application and as part of that upgrade moving to a new version of the Access Runtime.  Is there some way to uninstall the Access 2007 Runtime via a command or script?

http://www.saberman.com

Thursday, January 28, 2016 11:45 PM

All replies

• This link is not directly an answer but is the closest info found so far. I'll keep looking

Not a good answer link

This one looks better

Just takes a click to give thanks for a helpful post or answer.
    Please vote “Helpful” or Mark as “Answer” as appropriate.
    Chris Ward
    Microsoft Community Contributor 2012

• Edited by KCDW Friday, January 29, 2016 5:57 PM
    Friday, January 29, 2016 5:52 PM
  • >This one looks better
    Indeed it does. However, it contains:

setup.exe" /uninstall ACCESSRT /config Uninstallconfig.xml

Copy the Uninstallconfig.xml file in the same folder where setup.exe is present

What setup.exe is it referring to and where do I find it?

• Edited by saberman Saturday, January 30, 2016 4:51 PM
    Saturday, January 30, 2016 4:50 PM
  • Hi,

Actually I prefer the first link more because that we know that the every step it did. I found that the registry of Access 2013 runtime(64-bit) under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{90150000-001C-0000-1000-0000000FF1CE}].

You can refer more detail from figure below:

All the comments installed with Access 2013 runtime seems begin with "90150000", we can uninstall the comments which's GUID looks like this via the command line  mentioned by the blog above.

Hope it is helpful.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, February 1, 2016 5:44 AM
  • The second link is much better for us.  However it contains:

setup.exe" /uninstall ACCESSRT /config Uninstallconfig.xml

Copy the Uninstallconfig.xml file in the same folder where setup.exe is present

What setup.exe is it referring to and where do I find it?

Thursday, February 11, 2016 11:48 PM
  • Hi Saberman,

As far as I know, the setup for the Access runtime doesn't support "uninstall" switch. It should be an third-party programes.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, February 12, 2016 6:30 AM
  • The original post (This one looks better) said:
    " I used setup.exe (after extracting it) with a config.xml to install silently"
    I assume the setup.exe was extracted from the runtime installation package.  How does one do that?

Saturday, February 13, 2016 2:43 PM
  • It's probably bad behavior to uninstall the Access 2007 runtime, as other programs on the user's computer may depend on it.

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

Saturday, February 13, 2016 4:22 PM
  • It's probably bad behavior to uninstall the Access 2007 runtime, as other programs on the user's computer may depend on it.

Not if you ask the user first.

Sunday, February 14, 2016 4:12 AM
  • >Not if you ask the user first.

Do you think the user knows which programs depend on the Access Runtime?

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

Sunday, February 14, 2016 2:35 PM
  • Do you think it was a good idea to keep the same GUID for all versions of Access past 2007 so you can't invoke the one you want via Application.Access.XX?

According to Microsoft you should not install two versions of Access on the same machine.  So if the user is upgrading to a product using Access 2010 Runtime it follows that Access 2007 Runtime MUST be uninstalled to confirm to Microsoft's recommendations.

Of course the fact that the changes Microsoft made in Access 2010 cause many products developed and compiled under Access 2007 to blowup under Access 2010 is just standard operating procedure for Microsoft.  Actually, you don't even need to switch versions of Access to have an application blowup.  We have a client running Windows 10 with Office Home and Business (Office 365) installed (which does not include Access).  They also have a full version of Access 2007 installed.  We have an application compiled on a Windows 8.1 system with a full version of Access 2007.  It works fine on all systems from 8.1 and down with either a full version of Access 2007 installed or the Runtime version of Access 2007 installed.  It breaks on the Windows 10 system with a full version of Access 2007 installed.

If we copy the source database (.accdb) to the Windows 10 system and compile it the compiled version works fine.  This means that Microsoft broke an interface between Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 just like they did to ADO in SP2 for Windows 7.  Given their track record it will take three months for them to acknowledge it and over a year to fix it.

• Edited by saberman Monday, February 15, 2016 6:23 AM
    Monday, February 15, 2016 6:22 AM
  • I actually think the best approach is to simply leave the 2007 version alone. There can be MANY support issues when attempting to un-install some application.

Disk cost is very low, and thus I would simply install the later version of the runtime, and be done with this issue. My experience in attempting to un-install software gives rise to “many” issues.  One “un-cooperating” computer, and you can chew up several hours on ONE machine trying to un-install the previous version of office/access runtime. Worse is you STILL often wind up with the product not un-installing. If that un-install fails, then often you wind up with a half installed mess of a program (and anything else that needs the 2007 runtime will now fail).

I been there, done that, and I suggest just simply to leave that previous version alone, and reduce your support calls by a large margin. And often a clean un-install requires a re-boot of the computer (more pain, more wasted time).

In place of the “nasty” issue of un-installing such software, just leave it alone and “move on”.

So install whatever newer version of the runtime you need. You be glad you did. I would not worry nor care about that older version.  Worse, is if users have full edition of office 2007 and Access, then you risk MESSING UP their computer.

Few realize that the 2007 runtime and full edition of Access install to the EXACT SAME location and share the SAME .dll’s. This in effect means that a runtime-uninstall should not and in fact DOES NOT actually un-install Access!

It is HIGHLY un-likely you are using the file extension to launch your application (you are using a shortcut). Now if you have extra time, like extra support calls, and want to deal with un-installing a major part of the office suite, then do pursue un-installing the 2007 runtime, but experience shows you are far better off just leaving that previous version alone.

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Monday, February 15, 2016 6:58 PM
  • I actually think the best approach is to simply leave the 2007 version alone...

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Good Morning,

With respects gentlemen,

It may be in most circumstances the advice given is the best approach however, there comes a time when the steps requested are necessary and prudent. This may be such a case the OP is requesting help with. If you have information for helping answer the question, I for one would appreciate the info. I have run into a situation myself needing this approach and did not find a complete answer. If I run into a similar situation again, I would like to know this forum can actually help with the steps needed without me having to justify the need.

Saberman, I have not figured this out, but I hope you get the answer and share your findings for others who may require this information.

Thank you!!!

Just takes a click to give thanks for a helpful post or answer.
    Please vote “Helpful” or Mark as “Answer” as appropriate.
    Chris Ward
    Microsoft Community Contributor 2012

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 2:31 PM
  • To uninstall Access Runtime 2007 :
    Using sheell in VBA or command prompt in Windows (CMD)
    Paste code below:

MsiExec.exe /X{90120000-001C-0409-0000-0000000FF1CE} 
    ENTER

To uninstall access runtime 2010 :
    Using send keys sheell or command prompt : CMD
    Paste code below:

"<C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\Office Setup Controller\setup.exe>" /uninstall ACCESSRT /dll OSETUP.DLL 

Thank you

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 2:47 AM