cant group data in power pivot RRS feed

• Question

• Ive created a powerpivot table but it isnt allowing me to group any of the data

If you check the below screenshot, it just greys out the data whether I select multiple items and try and group them or just select one

I had pretty much the same pivot table working in excel 07 working just fine

some help would be apprectiated

cheers

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:56 PM

Answers

• Grouping is not implemented for the in-memory PowerPivot models. You can create a calculated column in the PowerPivot table to get static grouping. For instance, a DAX expression similar to
    IF( [state] = "WA" or [State] = "OR", "NW", "Not NW" ).

Thanks,
    Lisa
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:40 PM

All replies

• Grouping is not implemented for the in-memory PowerPivot models. You can create a calculated column in the PowerPivot table to get static grouping. For instance, a DAX expression similar to
    IF( [state] = "WA" or [State] = "OR", "NW", "Not NW" ).

Thanks,
    Lisa
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:40 PM
  • I'm having this same EXACT problem. 

I have tried a number of solutions. I can only find a solution to group by Day. I'm hoping to be able to group by Hour or Minute.

To group by day, I add a calculated column in the PowerPivot table with =DATEVALUE([source column]). Then I use the calculated date to sort the pivot table. The pivot table in Excel will group this by day. However, it rounds out the time, so does not allow you to group by hour or minute.

Does found a solution to this issue?

Cheers,
    Adam

Friday, June 18, 2010 8:26 PM
  •  

Is Powerpivot going to allow grouping in the future?   This seems like a great tool but it was implemented with several shortcomings, Not passing parameters, no grouping  etc.  I don't want to continue using this if there so many limitations that are not going to be remedied.  Where can I find the future plans for Powerpivot development?

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 4:41 PM
  • Assuming [source column] is already a DateTime value, you might consider the following if you want to group by Hour (if you don’t have a DateTime, it might make sense to do the conversion once and stick it in another column.)

=Date(Year([source column]), Month([source column]), Day([source column])) + Time(Hour([source column]), 0, 0)

Use similar approach to group by Minute.

Hope this helps,

Rohit

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:13 AM