Animating a Pen curve RRS feed

• Question

• Exactly the same question was asked a year (!) ago without being answered.

I'm trying to animate a running cat, using a pen tool and keyframes. I've created two keyframes (in record mode), and in process of creating third by moving bezier curve control points - Blend ruins my first two. It's totally unbelievable for a tool of such quality (and price), that it cannot normally manage this. Seems, like it's expanding curve's bounding box and all frames become heavily corrupted. Is there any workaround, like disabling automatic enclosing curve bounding box and setting my own fullscreen canvas? 

Saturday, February 11, 2012 7:04 PM

Answers

• Is it possible in your second key frame you did not record a change in the bezier curve point control?

If you didn't then Blend is animating that change from the start of the animation to the third.

I'm probably not explaining myself well here. 

But basically you'd need to grab the "curve control point" on the key frame (the second) before you want to make the change.  Move it and then move it back to it's original position.  Then Blend has recorded where it should be when the timeline gets to the second keyframe.

Ultimately, it is the key frames job to record changes in properties.  If you've made no changes then it assumes it is animating based on the properties recorded at the start of the animation.

Wishing it were easier for you.

~Christine

This tutorial may explain the concept better.

http://www.microsoft.com/design/toolbox/school/modules.aspx?lid=2&mid=4

Lesson 5 is where they talk about key frames.

• Edited by Christine L. _ Saturday, February 11, 2012 9:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dzugaru Sunday, February 12, 2012 11:02 AM
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 9:33 PM

All replies

• Is it possible in your second key frame you did not record a change in the bezier curve point control?

If you didn't then Blend is animating that change from the start of the animation to the third.

I'm probably not explaining myself well here. 

But basically you'd need to grab the "curve control point" on the key frame (the second) before you want to make the change.  Move it and then move it back to it's original position.  Then Blend has recorded where it should be when the timeline gets to the second keyframe.

Ultimately, it is the key frames job to record changes in properties.  If you've made no changes then it assumes it is animating based on the properties recorded at the start of the animation.

Wishing it were easier for you.

~Christine

This tutorial may explain the concept better.

http://www.microsoft.com/design/toolbox/school/modules.aspx?lid=2&mid=4

Lesson 5 is where they talk about key frames.

• Edited by Christine L. _ Saturday, February 11, 2012 9:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dzugaru Sunday, February 12, 2012 11:02 AM
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 9:33 PM
  • You've explained it very well, many thanks.

It still "moves" previous frames, due to changes in a bounding box, but curves don't distort anymore, and I can always move the curve back to the right place, after whole animation is done.

Sunday, February 12, 2012 11:02 AM