images being saved multiple times RRS feed

• Question

• When I save a page, or pages, attached to a dwt EW2 wants to save all the graphics, buttons and pictures used on the dw template.  As a result, the site is crowded with duplicate images with different names.  What am I doing wrong? 
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 11:37 PM

All replies

• We can't know without seeing your code, other than, most likely, "you are telling it to (somehow)".   Is the site published?  Post a link.
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 12:57 AM
  • Usually you get that when either you aren't working in a local site or you have navigated to the images through the file system when you inserted them.
    MS MVP Expression http://by-expression.com
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 1:00 AM
  • I have several graphics from file the rest are all interactive buttons.  The interactive buttons are the ones being duplicated, but they are only used on the dw template and haven't been added to any of the editable regions.  It could be the pages are not actually attached to the .dwt and have only been built using that template.  I have only posted an "under construction" page as I am still building the site. www.lifebiblewriters.org.
     Thanks for the insight.
    Syd
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 1:20 AM
  • Syd_B said:

I have several graphics from file the rest are all interactive buttons.  The interactive buttons are the ones being duplicated, but they are only used on the dw template and haven't been added to any of the editable regions.  It could be the pages are not actually attached to the .dwt and have only been built using that template.  I have only posted an "under construction" page as I am still building the site. www.lifebiblewriters.org.
     Thanks for the insight.
    Syd

Try this: with your web opened, on the main menu in EW; click Site, Site Settings.  Make sure the "use metadata" checkbox is checked.
    While you're in there click the advanced tab and then click the button for delete temporary files.  Close the site settings dialog (OK).
    Click Site, Recalculate Hyperlinks.
    Your problem will probably go away.

HTH

Chris Leeds
    Facebook
    Microsoft Press "Expression Web Step by Step"

Thursday, February 5, 2009 1:41 AM
  • Chris, 
    Thanks for the help.  I'll give it a try tonight.  This sounds like the solution. I'll let you know.
    Syd_B
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 1:46 AM
  • The interactive buttons are the ones being duplicated,

Hmm, without more information it's hard to be sure, but it sure sounds as if the OP might not be aware that each interactive button requires three images (link, hover, active/down). So, he saves a page with six buttons and gets 18 saved. Could that be it?

cheers,
    scott
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 3:18 AM
  • Scott/Paladun,   Nope. I realize there are three images per button.  The problem comes when I save, let's say button 45d (45e & 45f) on the dwt master page, then I save several pages attached to the dwt master page. At that point EW2 prompts me that it has not only saved the original 45d-e-f button on the dwt master but has renumbered that same button differently on each page. If I save five pages that's 15 images plus the original three.  If I resave later on after editing EW2 wants to renumber again, includes the first image, plus the last 15 and wants to add another 15.  
    It is operator error, but I think I just didn't set the Site Settings as Chris Leeds advised.    I have meetings through the weekend now. Have to get back to this on Sunday night.
    I appreciate you all for helping. 
    Syd_B
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 7:22 AM
  • I expect that Chris's suggestion will fix the issue because EW is seeing those buttons as something the setting in Page Editor Options > General to "Make ID unique on paste" is doing. I know that has caused problem with shopping carts that use the same ID on different items (usually old CGI carts that shouldn't be used because they were written prior to modern security practices but I still see them on occasion) and Expression without the meta data isn't seeing them as part of a DWT.

MS MVP Expression http://by-expression.com
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 3:46 PM
  • Chris,
    Your solution worked.   I appreciate the help.
    Syd
    Monday, February 16, 2009 8:42 PM