Are the host for Web Apps updated? When does this take place? RRS feed

• Question

• We are concerned about the latest ransomware threat. Are the hosts for Web Apps updated (Windows updates/patches) regularly? What is the frequency of updates?
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 4:04 PM

Answers

• App Service Web Apps is a fully managed compute platform that is optimized for hosting websites and web applications. This platform-as-a-service (PaaS) offering of Microsoft Azure lets you focus on your business logic while Azure takes care of the infrastructure to run and scale your apps.

As Josh mentioned, For Web Apps we own the servers and infrastructure, there is nothing the customers needs to do.

The patching is only applicable for our IaaS or customers who do not use auto update on PaaS VMs.

You may refer the msdn thread for Patching, Upgrade, Maintenance and Downtime.

For more details, refer the blog posts WannaCrypt attacks: guidance for Azure customers and Windows Azure Host Updates: Why, When, and How.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Thursday, May 25, 2017 3:42 PM

All replies

• The known vulnerability the recent attempts have used are not present on newest versions of Windows, which I think are likely to be used in Azure.

You can wait for an official Microsoft answer, but I think they keep their own stuff pretty up to date, and I say this because sometimes I wish they wouldn't, or would announce it more clearly, so that I would not get new behaviors unexpectedly.

Josh

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 6:07 PM
  • App Service Web Apps is a fully managed compute platform that is optimized for hosting websites and web applications. This platform-as-a-service (PaaS) offering of Microsoft Azure lets you focus on your business logic while Azure takes care of the infrastructure to run and scale your apps.

As Josh mentioned, For Web Apps we own the servers and infrastructure, there is nothing the customers needs to do.

The patching is only applicable for our IaaS or customers who do not use auto update on PaaS VMs.

You may refer the msdn thread for Patching, Upgrade, Maintenance and Downtime.

For more details, refer the blog posts WannaCrypt attacks: guidance for Azure customers and Windows Azure Host Updates: Why, When, and How.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Thursday, May 25, 2017 3:42 PM