none
Snapshot Debugging for Azure functions v2 (.net core) creates no snapshots RRS feed

• Question

• I've enabled the snapshot debugger for my Azure function instance (platform features > all settings > app insights > snapshot debugger: on.) but no snapshots are generated for exceptions in my .net core 2.2 projects. It seems to work fine for other app services like web api and web sites, but functions remain.. well, non functional. Excuse the pun, or don't. 

There are a few github issues on the topic that have been closed without any clear resolution. I suspect that the late addition of the functions-specific Startup mechanism to enable DI hints that the underlying machinery to automatically enable snapshots isn't working right now, but I cannot find any documentation that clearly states that azure function app services are not supported for the snapshot debugger. I did notice also that when trying to connect to a live session with debug > snapshot debugger.. in VS 2019 (latest preview), that only pure web api and webs are enumerated. My function instance is not shown: now whether that's because VS is ignoring it, or that the function itself is misconfigured/broken, I cannot tell.

Is the snapshot debugger supported for .NET core on Azure Functions v2? If so, how? Do I need to wire up a collector myself through FunctionsStartup ?

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 8:10 PM

All replies

• Hello Oisín Grehan,

I can see a a feature request for the same here but at the same time by looking in to the Code of Azure Function Host I am assuming AppInsights Snapshot debugger should work by adding host configuration. Can you try adding the below configuration to you Function host.json file and see if that helps.

{
      "version": "2.0",
      "logging": {
        "applicationInsights": {
          "snapshotConfiguration": {
            "IsEnabled": true
          }
        }
      }
    }

Thursday, October 10, 2019 3:36 AM