How to Update SecondaryTile from background in Windows Store App(8.1) Development ?

Question

• Hi All,

I'm developing the "Pin To Start" functionality for Windows Store(8.1) in XAML.
    I'm using 'SecondaryTile' class to achieve this functionality.
    Once a SecondaryTile is pinned to start I want to update the "Display Text" of it from background every 24 Hrs.
    But the current "UpdateAsync" method in SecondaryTile class doesn't support this.

So can anyone provide me a solution how can I achieve this functionality.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Priyabrata

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 6:24 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can refer to the link below:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nishasingh/archive/2013/01/17/updating-secondary-tiles-using-background-task.aspx

Best Wishes!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 3:22 AM

All replies

• what you mean with update async? have you sample code what you try to do?

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 7:25 AM
  • I'm creating a SecondaryTile like following:

SecondaryTile secondaryTile = new SecondaryTile("SearchPage",
                                                    "Enter Your Key Text Here",
                                                     tileActivationArguments,
                                                     square150x150Logo,
                                                     TileSize.Square150x150);

Then I'm trying to Update the Display Text, which is passed as 2nd argument in above code from background like following.

SecondaryTile secondaryTile = new SecondaryTile(MainPage.logoSecondaryTileId);
                        secondaryTile.DisplayText = "Some Text";
                        bool isUpdated = await secondaryTile.UpdateAsync();

But here I'm not able to update this Display Text since it's not available to update in SecondaryTile class.

But I want to achieve this functionality. Is there any other way I can do this ?

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 10:34 AM
  • Hi,

You can refer to the link below:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nishasingh/archive/2013/01/17/updating-secondary-tiles-using-background-task.aspx

Best Wishes!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 3:22 AM