Upgrading Win Server 2012 Datacenter to 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a simple way to upgrade from Win Server 2012 Datacenter to 2012 R2 in a VM? One can create a new VM in the portal with R2, but there doesn't appear to be a way to upgrade an existing VM. I could back up the data, delete the current VM, create a new one with R2, and restore my data. But is there a better way that preserves data and my current DNS name?

Thanks in advance!

Saturday, June 7, 2014 7:06 AM

Answers

• Azure does not offer an option for doing an in-place upgrade of an existing Server 2012 to Server 2012 R2 at this time. The only possible way is to utilize an ISO and do it the same way you would do an on-prem upgrade. In this instance, you would need to have your own copy of the ISO, yes.
    • Marked as answer by Pengu1n Friday, June 13, 2014 7:32 PM
    Friday, June 13, 2014 7:25 PM
  • For the benefit of those who may be wanting to upgrade from Windows Server 2012 Data center to 2012 R2 Data center. This is the process I followed for the upgrade.

1) Note the name of the disc associated with the VM running the old OS

2) Delete the VM running the old OS without deleting the associated disc 

3) Delete the cloud service associated the VM

4) Create a new VM with the new OS (one can reuse the old DNS name here)

5) Attach the disc associated with the old (now deleted) VM to the new VM

6) Log on the new VM and copy the data from the old disc to the new one as required

7) Detach the disc associated with the old (now deleted) VM from the new VM

8) Delete the disc associated with the old (now deleted) VM

• Marked as answer by Pengu1n Saturday, June 14, 2014 12:04 AM
    • Edited by Pengu1n Sunday, June 15, 2014 9:09 AM
    Saturday, June 14, 2014 12:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I think you should backup the data and create a new Virtual Machine.

And you could reuse the DNS name:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/narahari/archive/2013/01/15/windows-azure-virtual-machines-gotcha-s.aspx

Regards.

Vivian Wang

Monday, June 9, 2014 7:29 AM
  • You can update the Server 2012 to Server 2012 R2 the same way you would update an on-premises machine. If you have the ISO, you can do an in-place upgrade.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 2:53 PM
  • Thanks Philip, but to update using an ISO, I have to purchase one, isn't it? With the VM, I haven't really purchased the OS, I only pay a monthly fee (for the VM + OS). How do I go about this in-place upgrade route without purchasing the OS?

Thank you for your answer Vivian, I will wait to see what Philip says about the in-place upgrade.

• Edited by Pengu1n Friday, June 13, 2014 4:36 AM
    Friday, June 13, 2014 4:23 AM
  • Azure does not offer an option for doing an in-place upgrade of an existing Server 2012 to Server 2012 R2 at this time. The only possible way is to utilize an ISO and do it the same way you would do an on-prem upgrade. In this instance, you would need to have your own copy of the ISO, yes.
    • Marked as answer by Pengu1n Friday, June 13, 2014 7:32 PM
    Friday, June 13, 2014 7:25 PM
  • For the benefit of those who may be wanting to upgrade from Windows Server 2012 Data center to 2012 R2 Data center. This is the process I followed for the upgrade.

1) Note the name of the disc associated with the VM running the old OS

2) Delete the VM running the old OS without deleting the associated disc 

3) Delete the cloud service associated the VM

4) Create a new VM with the new OS (one can reuse the old DNS name here)

5) Attach the disc associated with the old (now deleted) VM to the new VM

6) Log on the new VM and copy the data from the old disc to the new one as required

7) Detach the disc associated with the old (now deleted) VM from the new VM

8) Delete the disc associated with the old (now deleted) VM

• Marked as answer by Pengu1n Saturday, June 14, 2014 12:04 AM
    • Edited by Pengu1n Sunday, June 15, 2014 9:09 AM
    Saturday, June 14, 2014 12:03 AM
  • Where does one download the Windows Server 2012 R2 ISO?  Is this something you can download from Azure?

I tried downloading the ISO from the Evaluation page http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2012-r2 and once I tried installing it, it gave an error saying that it is an incompatible upgrade.

Once someone tells me where I can get the ISO, then I can try to in place upgrade and use the Appendix A: KMS Client Setup Keys http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612867.aspx to make the upgrade official.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 5:30 PM