"DEP0700 : Registration of the app.." & "...windows.licensing failed ..."

Question

• I've all of a sudden lost the capacity to create a default project (eg. blank) and run it, with both "...DEP0700 : Registration of the app..." and "...windows.licensing failed to start WSService..." errors.

Curiously, some of my apps still deploy (hence I can continue to develop them) yet others don't. [PS Now none of them work :(]

I've also run the Powershell cmdlet get-windowsdeveloperlicense and the expiration date is two weeks in the future, with the IsValid value returning as True.

I've looked at every page in Google that comes up, even those which refer to the task scheduler (my xml is well formed) but to no avail.

(For me this is around £400 pound a day loss until I can carry on.)

Any suggestions?

Error 1 Error : DEP0700 : Registration of the app in the layout folder "C:\Users\Anthony\Desktop\ProxyServer\ProxyServer\bin\Debug\AppX" failed. ProxyServer

and

Error 2 error 0xC0020012: windows.licensing failed to start WSService while installing 97D8F4A2-992E-4502-BAE2-A1A4C73F6DAC_1.0.0.0_neutral__bkvjexddj2nfj.  Try again and contact the package publisher if the problem persists. ProxyServer

Saturday, August 11, 2012 3:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Dont worry,I too faced this problem yesterday.When I run the solution in different developer machine,it worked properly.

Registration of app failed error usually occurs when you try to re-deploy an app with the same package ID from visual studio if it is already installed by a different user.

Solution- change the Package Identity (open the manifest, go to the package tab and modify the identity).

Subramanian Muthukrishnan Microsoft Student Partner iLink Systems General Secretary,Rockcity Dot Net User Group Windows 8 Trainer,DPE Program for Windows 8,Microsoft.

• Proposed as answer by BlakeJ Monday, August 20, 2012 11:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by XQuirrel Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:26 PM
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 9:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Dont worry,I too faced this problem yesterday.When I run the solution in different developer machine,it worked properly.

Registration of app failed error usually occurs when you try to re-deploy an app with the same package ID from visual studio if it is already installed by a different user.

Solution- change the Package Identity (open the manifest, go to the package tab and modify the identity).

Subramanian Muthukrishnan Microsoft Student Partner iLink Systems General Secretary,Rockcity Dot Net User Group Windows 8 Trainer,DPE Program for Windows 8,Microsoft.

• Proposed as answer by BlakeJ Monday, August 20, 2012 11:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by XQuirrel Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:26 PM
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 9:22 AM
  • I agree with Subramanian. Another option is to just restart your system. Though not an ideal solution, it works.
    Friday, January 11, 2013 11:20 AM
  • Hi,

Although changing the package identity seems like an easy solution, it is not a preferred solution. The package identity is likes the GUID of the application and changing it will simply mean that you are working on a new application.

The solution for this that has always worked for me was to ask the other user to login and uninstall the application manually. I do the same thing if I am changing machines.

This approach has a problem if the other user is no longer around to do the uninstallation. In this scenario, changing the identity is the only solution but deployment can be an issue.

Regards,

rumDeep

• Proposed as answer by rumDeep Wednesday, August 21, 2013 5:49 AM
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 8:44 AM
  • Hi,

For futur people that will have this issue I found a clean solution with no need to logout or to change the GUID:

Run powershell as administrator :

Get-AppxPackage 

and copy the package name of your app

Remove-AppxPackage yourpackagename

cheers, 

• Proposed as answer by Thierry.T Friday, October 25, 2013 2:40 PM
    Friday, October 25, 2013 2:29 PM
  • A clean solution would be a button that deals with this. I'm developing on another machine, go to my main machine and get this, on a SDK sample.

How about a model, if in Debug do not worry about this, if in release go ahead with the warning messages, unless you press the button to change it.

It is me on both machine, seems regardless of the reasons, that it should not stop a person from developing to figure out why.

Anytime you have to stop developing because of some rule that someone has implemented is a bad thing...especially when all developers know that it can be resolved and resulting with a happy customer rather than...

Richard Loba

Sunday, May 4, 2014 8:25 PM