WindowsXP suddenly won't allow me to use Disk Defragmenter RRS feed

• Question

• A couple weeks ago my computer experienced a blue screen crash followed by a stop error that refers to the file HPZid412.sys and was told I needed the latest driver for my HP printer. . .went to HP download center and they said I had the latest driver, but later the next day, I did get some kind of patch download from HP (could have been a regular update???). Anyway, don't remember if one day after blue screen crash or several days, but upon every startup, our computer now  does a CHECKDISK scan (one of your drives is out of consistency) and it would check three stages and be OK and then follow a normal startup...And from that point on, when I attempt to "Defragment" my computer, I get a message telling me I can't because a CHKDSK scan has been scheduled and must complete it first. . .MY QUESTION is: Should I try (don't know how) to de-activate CHKDSK scan in order to run my Disk Defragmenter Tool or should I just forget trying to Defrag my computer?  Would appreciate any suggestions!
    Friday, March 26, 2010 4:11 PM

Answers

• If the dirty bit is set when the computer restarts, chkdsk runs to verify the consistency of the volume. When Autochk runs against a volume at boot time it records its output to a file called Bootex.log in the root of the volume being checked. The Winlogon service then moves the contents of each Bootex.log file to the Application Event log. One event log message for each volume checked is recorded. So check the application event log for details.

Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 10:15 PM

All replies

• If the dirty bit is set when the computer restarts, chkdsk runs to verify the consistency of the volume. When Autochk runs against a volume at boot time it records its output to a file called Bootex.log in the root of the volume being checked. The Winlogon service then moves the contents of each Bootex.log file to the Application Event log. One event log message for each volume checked is recorded. So check the application event log for details.

Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 10:15 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft forum. This forum focuses on Perfmon and diagnostic tools. I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Thanks.

Bruce Adamczak

Friday, May 7, 2010 2:56 PM