Powerpivot beginner: SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am totally new to Powerpivot and recently bought the book "Powerpivot for Excel 2010 - Give Your Data Meaning" as I thought it would be a good skill to learn for work. I am following the steps and as part of the book I need to connect to a SQL server.

When I try to import data from a SQL database I have left the "Friendly connection name" as "SqlServer" and have clicked the arrow downward to connect. When I do this, nothing comes up and so I do not have a server name.

I was thinking that SQL server comes with the Powerpivot but I could be completely wrong. Do I need to download SQL server 2012 as well as Powerpivot in order to get this to work?

Sorry if this is a really basic question and any answers would be really appreciated.

Thank you

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 8:11 PM

Answers

• Hi libernian,

As Olaf suggested above, we need to install SQL Server. In addition, I would suggest you refer to the image below:
    PowerPivotPlanDeployFig1.jpg
    It shows the PowerPivot for Excel architecture, which relies on an add-in assembly, a VertiPaq engine, and a VertiPaq database module.

For more information, please see:
    Microsoft SQL Server PowerPivot Planning and Deployment: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff628113(v=sql.100).aspx

Regards,
    Bin Long

Bin Long

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Elvis Long Friday, July 20, 2012 9:34 AM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 3:41 AM

All replies