unable to connect to certain names *.microsoft.com, mcafee.com, other sites fine RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for the correct forum. I'm trying the networking group with the most questions posted for some possible direction.

I cannot connect to *.microsoft.com on a few machines (XP, Svr 2003) but connections to other internet sites are just fine.  I found this out when I went to microsoft updates.  I thought I could try an alternate site (ex: http://lb1.www.ms.akadns.net), which I can get to, but the links are back to micrsoft.com (which fails).

NOTE: sites like mcafee.com, malwarebytes.org are also unreachable.  Others like weather, news sites are fine.

My results from PING / TRACERT.  Bad results using the name, expected results when IP used.

PING RESULTS:

C:\...>ping www.microsoft.com
    Ping request could not find host www.microsoft.com. Please check the name and try again.

C:\...>ping 65.55.12.248
    Pinging 65.55.12.248 with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.

C:\...>ping bac.microsoft.com
    Ping request could not find host bac.microsoft.com. Please check the name and try again.

C:\...>ping lb1.www.ms.akadns.net
    Pinging lb1.www.ms.akadns.net [65.55.12.249] with 32 bytes of data:

C:\...>ping 65.55.12.249
    Pinging 65.55.12.249 with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.

TRACERT RESULTS:

C:\...>tracert www.microsoft.com
    Unable to resolve target system name www.microsoft.com.

C:\...>tracert 65.55.12.248
    Tracing route to bac.microsoft.com [65.55.12.248]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:
      1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms

C:\...>tracert bac.microsoft.com
    Unable to resolve target system name bac.microsoft.com.

C:\...>tracert lb1.www.ms.akadns.net
    Tracing route to lb1.www.ms.akadns.net [65.55.12.249]
      1    <1 ms    <1 ms     1 ms

C:\...>tracert 65.55.12.249
    Tracing route to wwwco2vip.microsoft.com [65.55.12.249]
      1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms

C:\...>tracert www.mcafee.com
    Unable to resolve target system name www.mcafee.com.

C:\...>tracert 216.49.88.12
    Tracing route to www.mcafee.com [216.49.88.12]
      1    <1 ms     1 ms     2 ms

I'm betting this is going to be a virus that will not be fixable even with the new updates.  But since I can't get to mcafee, malwarebytes, etc..., not many options left

Monday, October 18, 2010 10:41 AM

Answers

• This question is beyond the topic of this particular forum.  You would probably be better advised by posting in the following forum: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7network/threads?filter=alltypes

At first glance it looks like you are having DNS Resolution lookup failures.  You should validate your DNS settings.  Use a tool such as NSLookup to query the DNS server in use and determine it's reply.  Do other machines on the same network have the same issue?  are those machines using the same DNS server?

Hope this helps (or at least points you in the right direction.

Dusty Harper [MSFT]
    Microsoft Corporation
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:29 PM

All replies

• This question is beyond the topic of this particular forum.  You would probably be better advised by posting in the following forum: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7network/threads?filter=alltypes

At first glance it looks like you are having DNS Resolution lookup failures.  You should validate your DNS settings.  Use a tool such as NSLookup to query the DNS server in use and determine it's reply.  Do other machines on the same network have the same issue?  are those machines using the same DNS server?

Hope this helps (or at least points you in the right direction.

Dusty Harper [MSFT]
    Microsoft Corporation
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:29 PM
  • Ok, I will try that other forum.

My DNS on all our machines are the same, with only the handful failing.  I have been trying suggestions from a network guy, trying other valid DNS entries, yet still having the exact same results. 

I am back to thinking this is more of a virus (?) that is on our machine(s) denying resolution to those sites.  I contacted mcafee, they said it was a microsoft problem.  A microsoft problem that targets itself and virus solution sites I asked?  Needless to say, still looking for a solution.

Monday, October 25, 2010 1:11 PM
  • If you feel this is a virus, then I'd suggest downloading an AV package to one of the machnes not aflicted by the issue.  You should be able to install the package from that machine onto the infected machine and then run a full scan. I suggest trying Microsoft Security Essentials http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/ .  It's a free AV which should get you started.

Hope this helps.

Dusty Harper [MSFT]
    Microsoft Corporation
    Monday, October 25, 2010 4:02 PM
  • Didn't work...

Well, I downloaded it from a good machine and copied it over to a problem machine.

It would not execute because it tries to do an update first.  Since that machine cannot get to *.microsoft.com, the update fails and the program stops.  It will not let me scan.

any other suggestions on how I can force it run without 'updating' first?

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 12:46 PM
  • not sure on that.  You can try to hardcode the update site in the hosts file (this is checked before doing a DNS lookup).  (%WinDir%\SYstem32\drivers\etc\hosts).

Hope this helps.

Dusty Harper [MSFT]
    Microsoft Corporation
    Monday, November 1, 2010 9:06 PM
  • I'm not sure how to do that or what IP (###.###.###.###   www.microsoft.com)?

I do believe it is a virus and I may have found a way around this.  I will be working on it this morning.

I looked through the download area and read that Security Essentials minimum OS is XP/Vist/7.  When I need to choose the OS, there is no version for Svr 2003?

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 10:15 AM