none
project 2010: where is the timephased data stored in the project database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can anyone please inform me in which database and table is the timephased data of a project stored in microsoft project 2010? For example, I have the project and assignment GUIDs and I need to obtain something like: DATE 1 WORK 2 HOURS; DATE 2 WORK 1 HOUR; DATE 3 WORK 7 HOURS. I know it is possible throught the services provided but I need to access the database directly.

Thanks, George

Monday, January 31, 2011 11:06 AM

Answers

• The data table refered to earlier is a Reporting Database table. All the timephase data in the published and draft databases are in in BLOB fields, and can not be modified using SQL.

As for the PSI UpdateStatus.  This method is designed to be used by the resource to provide status to the assignment owner.  I think you need to impersonate as the assignments resource.  if you use this method.

If think you could also use the StatusingTimephasedActualsDataSet and modifed the time phased actuals using the assignment owner.

Ray McCoppin

Project Server 2007-2010 archive tool.

www.randsmanagement.com

Ray McCoppin
    Monday, January 31, 2011 2:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

you can find this information in MSP_EpmAssignmentByDay_UserView. Does that help?

Barbara

Monday, January 31, 2011 11:14 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess yes thats the table I was looking for. However, when I add a row in this table, the data do not show on the project when I open it. How come? Should I modify another table also so that the changes will appear when I open the project from project professional?

Thanks, George

Monday, January 31, 2011 12:28 PM
  • Hi,

Project Server DBs are NOT designed to add or change anything in there directly. Reporting DB includes data for reporting purposes only. Using the other three DBs is not supported by Microsoft at all. If you need to add or modify data, you have to use PSI or Project client, which provides modification access to data in Draft (resp. Published).

Regards
    Barbara

Monday, January 31, 2011 12:44 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

Yes I know all about that. However, I need to modify the data using the databases and not the PSI since I am not able to do it through the PSI. What I am trying to achieve is updating the timephased data of a different resource than that of the application's user. However, I keep getting the GeneralSecurityAccessDenied error which I have no idea of how to fix. I tried updating the data by 2 different ways: 
    1-using the UpdateStatus and including the ResID attribute in the xml filter
    2-using impersonation
    However, both ways give the GeneralSecurityAccessDenied error. Moreover, the application user is the owner of the assignments I am trying to update and has the StatusBrokerPermission. I have been working on this for more than a week now and I really need to finish it by tomorrow maximum since the deadline to submit it is very soon. Thats why I reverted to modifying the data by direct database access. Any help regarding the GeneralSecurityAccessDenied error or regarding how to update the timephased data directly through the database is highly appreciated.

Regards, George

Monday, January 31, 2011 12:55 PM
  • The data table refered to earlier is a Reporting Database table. All the timephase data in the published and draft databases are in in BLOB fields, and can not be modified using SQL.

As for the PSI UpdateStatus.  This method is designed to be used by the resource to provide status to the assignment owner.  I think you need to impersonate as the assignments resource.  if you use this method.

If think you could also use the StatusingTimephasedActualsDataSet and modifed the time phased actuals using the assignment owner.

Ray McCoppin

Project Server 2007-2010 archive tool.

www.randsmanagement.com

Ray McCoppin
    Monday, January 31, 2011 2:41 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

Thanks for the information. We were able to find the Actual Work, Cost data in MSP_EpmAssignmentByDay table. We also need the BCWP values as seen below in MS Project 2016 Task Usage View.

Details            S          S           M           T          W
    BCWP $0.17 $0.17 $2.12 $4.07 $6.03

Could you please let us know in which table does MS Project 2016 store this data? 

or

How is MS Project calculating and displaying the BCWP by day values in MS Project 2016?

Regards,

Agasthya

Thursday, October 5, 2017 5:57 AM
  • Hi,

I am sorry, BCWP ist not available in Reporting database. Andrew wrote 4 blog posts how to get this. Not sure, if you need it that urgent?

https://azlav.wordpress.com/?s=Capturing+Custom+Timescaled+Data+in+Project+Server

But Earned Value is available in cube, perhaps this is an option?

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, October 5, 2017 11:17 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

Thanks for your inputs.

I didn't find the Earned value data in any of the three excel reports in PWA after building the OLAP cube.

Can you please let me know where exactly does the Earned value data resides in the Cubes for Reporting?

Regards

Agasthya

Monday, October 9, 2017 10:33 AM