none
Is there some kind of limit to the size of a Small Basic program? RRS feed

Answers

• Firstly it is very unlikely it is operating system etc related - much more likely a programming problem.  This come from personal experience.

The details don't help, is there a details and scroll up to the top of the call stack and show this.

Perhaps upload the file if it is too large to publish - also if you use images these or whatever else is needed to run the file.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:46 PM
  • Baegos

Firstly abuse will not be tolerated - I have deleted offending posts.

Secondly, your problem.

The first requirement for constructive help is that some-one can reproduce the problem.  Over four+ years and thousands of Small Basic programs I have never found a single case where a reproducible problem could not be explained, either as a programming error, Small Basic bug or misunderstanding of a command.  The former is by far the most common, but we always keep an open mind and just try to logically find the cause.

So the first thing is can some-one else reproduce it.  For that we need the file and anything else need to run it.

Best is to zip it up (+ any other files e.g. images) so some-one can unzip it and run it and see the problem easily.  So you may need to also provide instructions how to reproduce the problem.  It is frustrating guessing what to do do reproduce a problem if just starting it doesn't show it, and you later discover you have to enter certain input or whatever.

Place the zip on SkyDrive in a public folder, then right click select the uploaded zip select Sharing, the Get a Link on the left panel, then Create and post the link here.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:23 PM

All replies

• Not a hard limit as far as I know, but things may slow for large arrays for example, but not for a few thousand lines of code, uncontrolled recursion for example can also cause a crash, but it is unlikely to be just a function of size for code without other errors.

test()
    Sub test
      test()
      TextWindow.WriteLine("")
    EndSub

Do you get a pop up saying anything about the error, is it easily reproducible?

If you can publish it (and give the 6 digit import code) and explain how to cause the crash we may be able to help more specifically.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:37 PM
  • I am unable to publish the code. It says program is either empty or too large. Do I need to break it into smaller pieces?

Here are the details provided by Microsoft in the popup:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: football pick teams for game.exe

Application Version: 0.0.0.0

Application Timestamp: 51535f80

Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.18015

Fault Module Timestamp: 50b8479b

Exception Code: e053534f

Exception Offset: 0000000000009e5d

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:10 PM
  • Firstly it is very unlikely it is operating system etc related - much more likely a programming problem.  This come from personal experience.

The details don't help, is there a details and scroll up to the top of the call stack and show this.

Perhaps upload the file if it is too large to publish - also if you use images these or whatever else is needed to run the file.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:46 PM
  • it is NOT a programming problem. I restored the code to what it looked like yday when it ran fine, but it will not run.

How do I upload the file???

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 10:39 PM
  • Perhaps skydrive?
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 10:59 PM
  • im not familiar with that.
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:03 PM
  • I have placed all of the files onto my SkyDrive account. What do you need to know to gain access to them?
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:18 PM
  • I have placed all of the files onto my SkyDrive account. What do you need to know to gain access to them?

See this photo.  (Sorry  Language is Japanese.   but I hope you can understand the method. )

* You'd better make a zip file to upload all files. (or link only ****.sb program )
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:45 AM
    Answerer
  • it is written in Japanese so no I am afraid not
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 2:43 PM
  • Baegos

Firstly abuse will not be tolerated - I have deleted offending posts.

Secondly, your problem.

The first requirement for constructive help is that some-one can reproduce the problem.  Over four+ years and thousands of Small Basic programs I have never found a single case where a reproducible problem could not be explained, either as a programming error, Small Basic bug or misunderstanding of a command.  The former is by far the most common, but we always keep an open mind and just try to logically find the cause.

So the first thing is can some-one else reproduce it.  For that we need the file and anything else need to run it.

Best is to zip it up (+ any other files e.g. images) so some-one can unzip it and run it and see the problem easily.  So you may need to also provide instructions how to reproduce the problem.  It is frustrating guessing what to do do reproduce a problem if just starting it doesn't show it, and you later discover you have to enter certain input or whatever.

Place the zip on SkyDrive in a public folder, then right click select the uploaded zip select Sharing, the Get a Link on the left panel, then Create and post the link here.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:23 PM
  • I am unable to publish the code. It says program is either empty or too large. Do I need to break it into smaller pieces?

Here are the details provided by Microsoft in the popup:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: football pick teams for game.exe

Application Version: 0.0.0.0

Application Timestamp: 51535f80

Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.18015

Fault Module Timestamp: 50b8479b

Exception Code: e053534f

Exception Offset: 0000000000009e5d

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Baegos,

I got the same error when to run Small Basic program in OneDrive (SkyDrive).  The popup saids "XXX.exe has stopped working" and problem details are almost the same as above.

Please check your program folder with File Explorer and [View] [Details].  There is a column [Availability].  If SmallBasicLibrary.dll's Availability is Online only, this error occurs.  If so, right click on this dll and select [Make available offline].  Then the program will be run.

Nonki Takahashi

Friday, June 13, 2014 4:43 PM