Created reference install now what? RRS feed

• Question

• OK still searching reading learning, however.

I created a 32bit W7ES SP1 reference install using the bootable DVD on a transend Compact Flash. 

Used the Industrial Automation template.

Added our drivers and sample programs.  Everthing is working.

I have a win7  64bit development system setup installed ICE on it.

Question 1: Is this OK using Win7 64 bit to develop 32 bit images?

Question 2: Now How do I create a "master image"  or something from this reference install?

IBW? ICE?  I dont seem to get it?

Do I need or How do I create a Distribution share then an answer file?

Do I do it on the target ref device or my dev system?

Question 3:  I created image with trial versoin download,.  I have one licens sticker/key from Microsoft with our lic agreement.  Can I validate this one prototype image created and send off to end used for evaluation?

Question 4:  I believe our customer will activate with the one license/sticker we got for this prototype will it be OK for them to activate an install I made with the trial DVD?

Question 5:  What tool do need to buy and how much? Can we use our MSDN subscription vs $1000+-?

Thanks in advanvce!!!

SRY for all the questions just getting started in Win embeded.

Thanks, Richard

• Edited by Delphin25 Tuesday, February 7, 2012 8:34 PM
    Tuesday, February 7, 2012 8:19 PM

Answers

• In general, my book should help answer your questions - http://www.annabooks.com/Book_PGWES7.html

1. Yes, it is okay to use Windows 7 64 bit to do WES7 development. There is no interaction between the two.

2. When you install the WES7 tools, the distribution shares will be created. ICE is the best tool to create a custom image/installer. ICE builds the image, and you take the installaton image and install it on the target system.

3. You need the full release tools. Final images cannot be built with the trail versions. If you want customers to test a trial -time bomb version is up to you.

4. No. The key is entered in ICE so it gets built into the image. The customer will never be prompted to enter the license key. You only need the one key for all images, but you have to put a sticker on each unit. - http://www.seanliming.com/Docs/Articles/XPE/WE%20Licensing%20V1.6.pdf. The distirbutor should have told you this when signing the license agreement.

5. The same distirbutor that sold you the license should also be able to sell you the wES7 tools. You can also download them from certain MSDN subscriptions.

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

• Edited by Sean LimingMVP Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:50 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Sean LimingMVP Wednesday, February 8, 2012 5:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Delphin25 Thursday, February 9, 2012 11:14 PM
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:48 AM

All replies

• In general, my book should help answer your questions - http://www.annabooks.com/Book_PGWES7.html

1. Yes, it is okay to use Windows 7 64 bit to do WES7 development. There is no interaction between the two.

2. When you install the WES7 tools, the distribution shares will be created. ICE is the best tool to create a custom image/installer. ICE builds the image, and you take the installaton image and install it on the target system.

3. You need the full release tools. Final images cannot be built with the trail versions. If you want customers to test a trial -time bomb version is up to you.

4. No. The key is entered in ICE so it gets built into the image. The customer will never be prompted to enter the license key. You only need the one key for all images, but you have to put a sticker on each unit. - http://www.seanliming.com/Docs/Articles/XPE/WE%20Licensing%20V1.6.pdf. The distirbutor should have told you this when signing the license agreement.

5. The same distirbutor that sold you the license should also be able to sell you the wES7 tools. You can also download them from certain MSDN subscriptions.

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

• Edited by Sean LimingMVP Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:50 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Sean LimingMVP Wednesday, February 8, 2012 5:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Delphin25 Thursday, February 9, 2012 11:14 PM
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:48 AM
  • Sean, awesome reply, I really appreciate it.

Yes I was considering getting a book on the subject.

Yeh I will go to the distibutor for the tool kit.  ($900 +-) We may not get it until we think were getting the contract.  Catch 22.

We may use the trial bomb version for the moment.

I'll have to get clarification as to who enters the product key from the distributor.  I think there was some confusion on this when the douments were drawn up. But the sticker(s) goes on the unit.

Also I read Microsofts support  site suggests to go to the distributor for tech support so I'm going to do that tomorrow.

I dont think our MSDN subscription level covers the seperate embedded subscription.  ($$$)

Oh its WES7 not W7ES.  LOL newb

Thanks again,

Richard

Thanks, Richard

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 1:50 AM
  • W7E would have been simplier and less confussing, but something happend on the way to the forum...

If your company signed the license agreement, you will get a run time key. This key has to be entered into the answer file. The trial version doesn't have the option. All stamping and activation happens during install. Like my paper points out, this is a benefit of embedded so the key doesn't have to be entered on every machine. The customers should never get the key.

Distributors have limited support, but they can answer some questions. There are books, training classes (http://www.annabooks.com/training.html), and consultants (http://www.sjjmicro.com/Services.html) that can help.

-Sean

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 5:44 AM
  • Escellent thanks Sean.

FYI:

I had the "This is not a genuine copy" message today.  That install I didnt enter any key when i created it. Tried to activate it, but it failed.

It did do 27 Windows updates on shutdown though?

No Problem.

I used trial IBW DVD to create/install another one after reformat, used the Trial key this time.  Now it just says "Evaluation Copy" at start up but no "not genuine" in lower right corner.  Install said its a trial and should be good for 180 days.  This is fine for prototype testing.

Not sure if I can/should try to activate it now???

Also not sure if I can/should run Windows update again?

We will put the one time lic sticker on it so we can activate the final rev we settle on for this prototype system.

Yeh is a one time lic were have and will be submitting the paperwork for the product id and OEM licences once the prototype is approved.

The System works great so far.

Thanks for all the help.  I'll keep reading and learning.

The best support I got besides here is our authorized Vendor/distributor's FAE.

Did talk to Microsoft and thats who they told me to get support from.  ugh.

Yes we have MSDN Pro and there is a different  MSDN Pro Embedded at sme price with embedded tools.

Looks like trade SQl and Azure and a couple other things we dont need for embedded at same $799 renewal fee.

Still have to confirm we can switch/upgrade renewal.  But it would still be cheaper to buy MSDN at full $1199 price. 

Cheers,

Richard

Thanks, Richard

//  ps SWTOR is awesome...
    • Edited by Delphin25 Thursday, February 9, 2012 11:17 PM
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 11:13 PM