Getting subscriber information for a non DSS service RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a DSS service say Service 1 that is hosted by DssHost.exe on http port 50000 and tcp port 50001. and I have written a separate Windows Form Application where I initialized a DSS environment using DssEnvironment.Initialize() at http port 40000 and tcp port 40001. From the Windows From application I have subscribed to Service 1. When I send a subscription message to Service 1. I could see  my subscriber information somehow getting populated when the Service 1 receives the message. The subscriber information looks like the following

dssp.tcp://venkat-laptop:40001/dssenvironment/0c3c9706-68be-4aa6-b5ef-c06d50ca103e/dss/notificationtarget/e03ad205-c505-47ac-8e0b-4cccae675d63

I used the above subscriber information in SendNotificationToTarget to send a specific notification to the subscriber and it worked very well and I was able to receive the notifications at my Windows From application.

I would like to know how to get this subscriber information from the Windows Form application (apart from Service 1 sending this information as a response for the "Subscribe" message that the Windows Form Application sends) from which I am sending the subscription message. The way the type filter gets populated, I could see from the proxy. However, the proxy does not contain any logic about how subscriber information is obtained (I am not sure if this logic belongs to the proxy).

I can see some clues from http://social.msdn. successful.com/Forums/en/roboticsdss/thread/2fab07b9-ffac-4311-9a21-2144cc8d01f2 about how to get this information from a DSS service but I could find no such information about DssEnvironment. Please help me find a solution for this.

Thanks,

Venkat

Friday, October 12, 2012 1:44 AM

Answers

• Hi Venkat -

I looked at this a bit, and I haven't been able to find a way that you could get the subscriber information your looking inside your winform application.  I think the workaround you initially mentioned of having the service send this information to the winform application is probably the best bet.

Bryan

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 1:55 AM

All replies

• Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had an opportunity to look at this.

Thanks,

Venkat

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 4:44 AM
  • Hi Venk -

Can I ask what you are planning on using the subscriber information for within the windows form application?  It would be helpful for me to understand what you are trying to accomplish.

Thanks.

Bryan

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:46 PM
  • Hi Bryan,

Thank you for your time and reply. I want to use it for the exact same reasons that the person who posted her http://social.msdn. successful.com/Forums/en/roboticsdss/thread/2fab07b9-ffac-4311-9a21-2144cc8d01f2 wants to make use of the information for except that he wants to make use of it from within a DSS service but I want to make use of it from within a non DSS service and from a simple C# object. 

I have a DSS service and I have a windows from which I have multiple different clients (which are themselves not DSS services but simple C# objects) who talk to the service.  The windows form runs a DSS hosting environment using DssEnvironment.Initialize. The DSS service can run in the same node and DSS environment of the windows form or it can run in a different node. Every client of the service subscribes to the DSS service for what we call an "Operation Complete" notification. The "Operation Complete" notification is sent by the service whenever the processing of the message sent by the client is complete. I see that for every new subscribe call, the "notificationtarget" part of the subscriber information such as "dssp.tcp://venkat-laptop:40001/dssenvironment/0c3c9706-68be-4aa6-b5ef-c06d50ca103e/dss/notificationtarget/e03ad205-c505-47ac-8e0b-4cccae675d63" is different and hence I have different notification targets for every client of mine. When the clients post a message to the DSS service, I want to attach this subscriber information as well with the message, so that when the message processing is complete, the DSS service can post to the client by making use of the SendNotificationToTarget method instead of sending a SendNotification that sends notification to all the clients.

Thanks,

Venkat

Friday, November 2, 2012 11:16 AM
  • Hi Venkat -

I looked at this a bit, and I haven't been able to find a way that you could get the subscriber information your looking inside your winform application.  I think the workaround you initially mentioned of having the service send this information to the winform application is probably the best bet.

Bryan

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 1:55 AM
  • Thanks Bryan for the clarification. Will do that..
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:56 PM