"Publishing - Failed" error with WebMatrix 2.0 RC RRS feed

• Question

• User1644223652 posted

Hello,

I'm having trouble publishing with the new WebMatrix 2.0 RC.  I was running WebMatrix 1 (which version I can't remember) and had several websites publishing successfully to a local IIS server.  When I upgraded to 2.0 RC I started getting a failure when I tried to publish to the same servers.  I tried uninstalling/reinstalling 2.0 RC, which didn't work.  Then I upgraded my OS from XP to Win 7 Enterprise and installed 2.0 RC and still get the same error.  Here's what happens:

1. I create an Empty Site to download my existing app from the server.
    2. I click on the Remote tab, open Settings, and enter all my publishing settings using WebDeploy.  These validate successfully.
    3. I close Settings and then Download the site.  I tell it to delete local files from the Empty Site template that aren't needed.  The remote site downloads successfully.
    4. I open Settings and click in the database field to enter the database settings (this wasn't available before I downloaded the site.)  The database settings save successfully.
    5. In the freshly downloaded local files I make a small change to test publishing to the server.
    6. I click Publish and WebDeploy successfully compares all the files and produces a list of files to upload.
    7. I leave the copy database field unchecked (the database is actually on a separate SQL Server) and click Publish.  The system returns this error message:

"Publishing - Failed. The regular expression 'server=EXAMPLE\EXAMPLE1;database=MYDB_TEST;user id=sa' is invalid."

This message always clips off the password declaration at the end of the statement, though I don't know if that is significant.  The password is still there when I review the whole string in the database connection area of the Settings window.

Any ideas on where to troubleshoot this next?

Thanks, Bill

Thursday, August 23, 2012 1:45 PM

Answers

• User1644223652 posted

Hello -- I'm posting this issue over on the discussion forum for WebDeploy and shutting it down here.  Thanks, Bill

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:50 AM

All replies

• User-470603225 posted
    Have you kindly check all of your configuration again? The services like web management service, please make sure it is running. Web Matrix 1 and 2 is almost the same.
    Friday, August 24, 2012 12:35 AM
  • User1644223652 posted

Hi,

Sorry, it took me a while to circle back round to this.  So...here's a summary of all the services that seem to be relevant:

• ASP.NET State Service (not running - manual)
    • Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v2.0.50727_X64 (not started - Disabled)
    • Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v2.0.50727_X86 (not started - Disabled)
    • Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_X64 (not started - Automatic (Delayed Start))
    • Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_X86 (not started - Automatic (Delayed Start))
    • Web Deployment Agent Service (Remote agent service for the Microsoft Web Deploy 3.0) (Started - Automatic)

There's no "web management service" listed in Services.  Is there something else I should check?

Thanks, Bill

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 3:00 PM
  • User1773224436 posted

Hi,

the database is actually on a separate SQL Server)

That would be a problem, the error occurs because of the invalid regular expression about connection string. I suggest you to check this. You could know how to publish web site with webmatrix, but i still recommend you to do some research about this article:

http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/871/publish-your-website/

Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:01 PM
  • User1644223652 posted

Hi,

Yes, I understand that the corrupted connection string is a problem.  The question is why Web Publisher is corrupting it.  If the system were open code I could try to figure that out, but it isn't.  I'm open to other ideas to troubleshoot. 

Thanks, Bill

Monday, September 10, 2012 2:56 PM
  • User1644223652 posted

Hello -- I'm posting this issue over on the discussion forum for WebDeploy and shutting it down here.  Thanks, Bill

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:50 AM