none
Product key(s) for testing WES7 on multiple hardware targets RRS feed

• Question

• I'm part of a development team for an OEM machine controller.  I am configuring an embedded OS environment for some prototype hardware based on Windows Embedded 7.  In order to test features such as Custom Logon Desktop Background Images, I need a product key after deploying using Image Builder.  Without a product key, I'm limited to testing in evaluation mode.  I'll be testing with various different hardware targets.  How do I obtain a product key?  Do I need multiple product keys when I switch between hardware targets?

A related question is:
    In Image Configuration Editor, there is a couple settings that is supposed to provide fully unattended deployment.  One of them is the ProductKey entry in Answer File -> Product -> Operating System -> Foundation Core.   Is there a tool that can automate this step in a production environment, so that a production engineer does not have to manually enter product keys for individual units?

Friday, October 14, 2011 7:21 PM

All replies

• Since ths is the POSReady forum, you might want to post the question to a WES7 forum: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/quebecmisc/threads

1. All you need is one runtime key and it will work for all the images you build. Embedded is different then desktop licensing to address the needs of OEMs.

2. You should contact a Microsoft distributor for more information on licensing.

3. The Custom Logon Desktop Background doesn't require a license key. You should be able to change the background, but it is tricky and involves copying over some files manually. The files must be the correct resolution as the display. The Unbranded Start-up screens is what requires the license key.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 12:06 AM
  • One key should be OK, unless you want to activate the OS.

Thursday, November 3, 2011 9:32 PM