Upgrading from Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2008 R2 (Any issues with SQL server) RRS feed

• Question

• Folks,

My previous question i had asked was incorrect so I wanted to ask this again and correctly. We currently have the below sql server installed. 

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 10.0.5500.0

Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools  10.0.5500.0

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 6.0.6002.18005

Microsoft MSXML 3.0 6.0 

Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50727.4253

Operating System 6.0.6002

I plan to upgrade our Windows server from 2008 to Windows Server 2008 R2. The hosting company says, they can do this and it should not affect any services or programs. This server is hosted on VM. My question is, will the existing SQL server have no issue once the Windows server has been upgraded. Do i need to reinstall SQL server and restore DB's ? Or I dont have to worry about that? 

They did mention that if something goes wrong, they will take a snapshot and revert it back to original version. Any advice. 

Friday, December 2, 2016 7:06 PM

All replies

• We currently have the below sql server installed

Hello,

You listed the versions of the client tools; that don't matter and is of no interest. Which SQL Server engine are you using?

Anyway, there difference between Windows 2008 and the minor build Windows 2008 R2 is that less, you can ignore it.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Friday, December 2, 2016 8:07 PM
  • Hi, Its sql server 2008  that is installed. 
    Friday, December 2, 2016 10:01 PM
  • Then you don't need to worry about the Windows OS upgrade and SQL Server will "survive" this Windows OS upgrade process.

But of course you should backup all system & user database before; just to be on the save side.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Teige Gao Monday, December 5, 2016 7:06 AM
    Saturday, December 3, 2016 1:52 AM
  • Olaf,

We got the upgrade done over the weekend and the db works fine without any issue. That surely was a relief. One issue i did notice, and i'm not sure this is the right platform to address this. Previously i was able to ftp to this server via a command prompt, but now I cannot. Any advice. i keep getting an error "user cannot log in". Did recreating user, restarted ftp service. No luck .

Monday, December 5, 2016 4:30 PM
  • Good to hear that everything went well.

If you can connect to old server using FTP, then because a FTP server was installed on the old server, e.g. Ftp in IIS or a separate SFTP server.

FTP server are not installed by default on new machine, you have to manually select the FTP option or you have to add the IIS server role incl. FTP server. And of course you have to setup credentials for logon & permissions.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Teige Gao Wednesday, December 7, 2016 9:25 AM
    Monday, December 5, 2016 5:11 PM