InkAnalyzer and .NET 4 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I tried to use the handwriting recognition (IAWinFX.dll from ancient tablet pc sdk 1.7) with the final release of .NET 4 on a Win7 x64 Professional machine and got the following exception

"Mixed mode assembly is built against version 'v1.0.3705' of the runtime and cannot be loaded in the 4.0 runtime without additional configuration information."

I got somewhat used to, or rather came to terms with, not having proper ink support in x64 applications (although I find it pretty annoying that there is still no 64 bit version of the ink analysis API after several releases of Windows that claim to support x64...).

Why is it so hard to get this done right when there is a perfectly working "Tablet PC Input Panel" feature in Win7?

So, after venting my anger: How can I get ink analysis up and running (preferably in x64 mode without having to use a WCF recognition service...) under .NET 4?

Thanks for your help!

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:49 AM

Answers

• Solved!

I had to lock the build to 32bit :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

then added an App.config file as said here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee518876.aspx

<

configuration>
        <
    startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
            <
    supportedRuntime version="v4.0" />
        </
    startup>
    </
    configuration>
    • Marked as answer by Linda Liu Tuesday, May 4, 2010 3:07 AM
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 6:46 PM
  • I faced a similar issue while working in .NET 3.5 sp1.

Your x64 operating system supports x86 applications as well and as far as I am aware of (due to painful experiences in the past) all ink related features (esp for the recognition features) are targeted towards x86 build. So the Table PC Input Panel program (.exe) would have been compiled to target x86 systems and runs on x64 systems as well due to backwards compatibility ..

I had to change my build configuration to target x86 systems so it was essentially a 32 bit program. Kind of annoying but had no other option ..

AT

• Marked as answer by Linda Liu Tuesday, May 4, 2010 3:08 AM
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 6:47 PM

All replies

• Solved!

I had to lock the build to 32bit :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

then added an App.config file as said here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee518876.aspx

<

configuration>
        <
    startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
            <
    supportedRuntime version="v4.0" />
        </
    startup>
    </
    configuration>
    • Marked as answer by Linda Liu Tuesday, May 4, 2010 3:07 AM
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 6:46 PM
  • I faced a similar issue while working in .NET 3.5 sp1.

Your x64 operating system supports x86 applications as well and as far as I am aware of (due to painful experiences in the past) all ink related features (esp for the recognition features) are targeted towards x86 build. So the Table PC Input Panel program (.exe) would have been compiled to target x86 systems and runs on x64 systems as well due to backwards compatibility ..

I had to change my build configuration to target x86 systems so it was essentially a 32 bit program. Kind of annoying but had no other option ..

AT

• Marked as answer by Linda Liu Tuesday, May 4, 2010 3:08 AM
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 6:47 PM
  • Thanks for your replies.

I am not really satisfied with either solution but that is due to the fact that I consider "Ink64" a crucial feature.

Anyway... I decided to use a WCF service with a net.tcp endpoint deployed in IIS to solve this once and for all. With the .NET4 autodiscovery features it should be possible to locate and consume the service automatically and using a binary protocol should give it enough performace. Recognition is done asynchronous anyway.

@Microsoft: Please consider this a vote to include 64 bit capabillities in your ink API. x64 has been around for long enough to make this effort reasonable.

Sebastian

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 5:22 AM
  • I faced similiar problem on 64 bit processor but boulding it to x86 doesn't change anything.

So the case is: that even the projects from Microsoft Tablet PC source that uses Recognition don't work (all another project using Ink Analyzer but do not use recognition work properly).

The error is : Defult recognizer is not available  :System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMEcxeption(0x80040235) (0x80040235 means Cannot render the file because it is corrupt.).

My proc is : MD athlon II P360 Dual Core Proces 2.3ghz (64bit).

Visual C# Express Edition 2008, .NET framework 3.5

Windows 7. Microsoft Tablet PC 1.7

Thanks for help in advance

• Edited by cygi1989 Monday, November 21, 2011 1:11 PM
    Monday, November 21, 2011 9:38 AM
  • No one knows what's the problem ?

It seems like it doesn't work on windows 7 machines. Altough it works on some of them.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 10:16 AM