none
Help with C++ tutorial and how to create UI's. RRS feed

• Question

• What is the best book for a beginner to learn C++ to use with Windows Embedded Compact 7 in VS2008? Online tutorials, documentation, ect? I want to learn it. I also am wanting to use code for serial port usage and need to learn coding to use in VS2008 Pro.

Also, does anyone know where I can find info or tutorials to learn how to create a UI in Blend 3 (like a GPS interface)? I have not seen anything on how you create my interface to link to other canvas screens to have a multiple screens UI. (meaning a main screen buttons to take to music library canvas, a button to take to picture canvas, ect. ect.) I have went through several online tutorials even looked through expression site. I need to find out how this is done through a tutorial or is their any good books on Blend 3. I am trying to create a UI for Windows Embedded Compact 7.

A tutorial I saw uses buttons with animations to pull the other screens in from outside the devices screen area which looks like another screen pulls up when the button is pushed. Is this how it is done?

Thanks in advance for helping.

Friday, June 17, 2011 7:36 PM

All replies

• The first part of the answer is that Windows CE uses Win32 APIs for serial port I/O, so any tutorial or sample that you find that is directed at Windows and which uses serial port I/O should be a reasonable base for your Windows CE work.  The main thing that you need to know is that many Windows-based samples do NOT assume Unicode strings, while Windows CE REQUIRES them.  So, things like the name of the serial port, "COM1:" would be in ASCII strings in your Windows sample and you'll get a warning when you compile for Windows CE, where you'd want to do something like _T("COM1:") on Windows CE to make the string either Unicode or ASCII depending on compiler settings.

Coding using VS2008 Pro is just like using any other text editor; Visual Studio isn't a language; it's just a tool.  There's nothing that you need to know which is different than any other IDE.  There's a "solution" which contains one or more "projects", each of which builds one or more outputs, typically libraries, DLLs, or EXEs.

Paul T.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 5:32 PM