none
Not loaded : a run-time error occurred during the loading of the com add in outlook 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WPF outlook add-in which is developed in Visual Studio 2008 with C#. It is working fine with Microsoft outlook 2003, 2007 & 2010. But when I installed it in outlook 2013, its not getting activated.

It is supposed to list as an add-in in MS outlook. When I checked the add-ins list, it was listed there in inactive group. 

When I try to activate it , the following exception is seen.

not loaded : a runtime error occurred during the loading of the com add in outlook 2013

If you have come across such a situation and found a solution, Please guide me.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 11:57 AM

All replies

• I have a WPF outlook add-in which is developed in Visual Studio 2008 with C#. It is working fine with Microsoft outlook 2003, 2007 & 2010. But when I installed it in outlook 2013, its not getting activated. When I try to activate it , the following exception is seen.

not loaded : a runtime error occurred during the loading of the com add in outlook 2013

If you have come across such a situation and found a solution, Please guide me.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 1:01 PM
  • Hi,

Welcome to the Office 2013 and Office 365 ProPlus IT Pro General Discussions forum.

This forum is for general questions and feedback related to Microsoft Office. Since your questions is more related to VSTO, I'll move it to a more appropriate forum:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=vsto

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 2:08 AM
  • Hello,

The reason can be various.

Microsoft Office applications can disable VSTO Add-ins that behave unexpectedly. If an application does not load your VSTO Add-in, the application might have hard disabled or soft disabled your VSTO Add-in.

Hard disabling can occur when an VSTO Add-in causes the application to close unexpectedly. It might also occur on your development computer if you stop the debugger while the Startup event handler in your VSTO Add-in is executing.

Soft disabling can occur when a VSTO Add-in produces an error that does not cause the application to unexpectedly close. For example, an application might soft disable a VSTO Add-in if it throws an unhandled exception while the Startup event handler is executing.

When you re-enable a soft-disabled VSTO Add-in, the application immediately attempts to load the VSTO Add-in. If the problem that initially caused the application to soft disable the VSTO Add-in has not been fixed, the application will soft disable the VSTO Add-in again.

See How to: Re-enable a VSTO Add-in That Has Been Disabled for more information. Also you may find the Troubleshooting COM Add-In load failures article helpful.

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 7:53 AM
  • Hello,

The reason can be various. First of all, make sure that all prerequisites were installed on the machine before running the add-in.

Microsoft Office applications can disable VSTO Add-ins that behave unexpectedly. If an application does not load your VSTO Add-in, the application might have hard disabled or soft disabled your VSTO Add-in.

Hard disabling can occur when an VSTO Add-in causes the application to close unexpectedly. It might also occur on your development computer if you stop the debugger while the Startup event handler in your VSTO Add-in is executing.

Soft disabling can occur when a VSTO Add-in produces an error that does not cause the application to unexpectedly close. For example, an application might soft disable a VSTO Add-in if it throws an unhandled exception while the Startup event handler is executing.

When you re-enable a soft-disabled VSTO Add-in, the application immediately attempts to load the VSTO Add-in. If the problem that initially caused the application to soft disable the VSTO Add-in has not been fixed, the application will soft disable the VSTO Add-in again.

See How to: Re-enable a VSTO Add-in That Has Been Disabled for more information. Also you may find the Troubleshooting COM Add-In load failures article helpful.

P.S. Please don't create duplicates on the forum.

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 12:35 PM
  • I tried both the URLS

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms268871.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vsod/2008/04/22/troubleshooting-com-add-in-load-failures/

But no luck

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 12:56 PM
  • Hi,

Please see Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office

>>developed in Visual Studio 2008 with C#. It is working fine with Microsoft outlook 2003, 2007 & 2010.

I think your target version is Microsoft Office 2003.

According the following table, I suggest you check if the "Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Second Edition Runtime" is installed in the computer with Office 2013.

Any of the following editions of Visual Studio:

-   Visual Studio 2008 Professional
    -   Visual Studio Team System 2008
    -   Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office (with or without VSTO 2005 SE<sup>2</sup> installed)
    -   Visual Studio Team System 2005 (with or without VSTO 2005 SE<sup>2</sup> installed)
    -   Visual Studio 2005 Professional with VSTO 2005 SE<sup>2</sup> installed
    Microsoft Office 2003 Office 2013 and Office 2010 (32-bit only<sup>3</sup>)

2007 Microsoft Office system

Microsoft Office 2003
    Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Second Edition Runtime .NET Framework 2.0, .NET Framework 3.0, or .NET Framework 3.5

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 16, 2017 7:56 AM
  • Thanks, I had already tried to install "Visual Studio 2008 Tools for Office"... 

Now I installed "Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Second Edition Runtime" as you suggested., but my add-in is still showing in "Inactive application add-in" list.

FYI, my target machine is Windows server 2012 R2 standard...

Thursday, February 16, 2017 12:46 PM
  • Did you install the all the required prerequisites for the plug-in?

Thursday, February 16, 2017 1:28 PM
    • Yes, I have added redemption com library.
    • installed .net framework 3.5
    • and installed Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Second Edition Runtime

not sure i have missed something else...

Friday, February 17, 2017 5:33 AM
  • Hi,

Office solutions that require the Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Second Edition Runtime are not compatible with 64-bit versions of Office 2013 and Office 2010.

If you are running 32bit Office 2013, I would suggest you create an empty add-in and then check if it could be loaded in Office2013 to check if the code causes the issue.

If a new add-in could be loaded, it might be you are using some features not supported in Office 2013 and causes unhandled exception.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 7:36 AM