none
Kinect for windows sensor does not start when using remote WMI

Question

• Scenario:

I have written a software (lets call it kinectRecorder.exe) that uses "kinect for windows sensor" to record images. The machine that connects to the kinect sensor has windows 8.1 and kinect v2 installed. The software is able to successfully records images from kinect sensor when running locally. (meaning if I hit f5 from vs2013, frames are recorded to local disk)

Due to resource constraint and other requirement, I have to remotely kickoff kinectRecorder.exe on the windows 8.1 machine from a windows 7 machine. on the windows 7 machine, I remotely kick off the kinectRecorder.exe using windows WMI infrastructure. 

The credential used for windows 8.1 machine and windows 7 machine are the same under same windows domain. the credential used to authenticate in wmi is also the same, I can see the user name running kinectRecorder.exe after kinectrecorder.exe is started remotely. 

Problem:

The result is that kinectRecorder.exe starts ok, but after the kinectsensor.open call, isavailable property changed to false, meaning sensor not detected. 

Question:

What's stopping kinect sensor to be detected/opened (i'm not sure what the correct jargon is here)?

I have been search the web, In msdn documentation (known issues),  I cannot find the problem being mentioned. I wonder if I'm the only person who has encountered this issue before. 

Any pointer is hugely appreciated. 

Monday, February 09, 2015 1:10 AM

All replies