Can I create custom exception in c++ and then catch it in javascript code? RRS feed

• Question

•  I developed one metro app in javascript and another WinRT component in c++.
     Also I declared a custom exception in c++ WinRT component.
     How can i catch this custom exception in my javascript app?
     Thanks for your help.

Friday, January 27, 2012 10:15 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Ring_ABC,

All Windows Runtime exceptions are ref classes which derive from Platform::Exception. When you throw an exception across the ABI boundary, you must throw one of these Exception types. You cannot derive your own type from Platform::Exception. To throw a custom exception, you can use COMException and supply a user-defined HRESULT.

please refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh441561(v=vs.110).aspx for more details.

Best wishes,

Robin [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Friday, January 27, 2012 1:44 PM
  • So can you provide a little more detail?

For example, this is what I'm doing right now:

public: static void MyErrorClass::CheckErrorCode(int code)
       {
          if(code < 1)
          {
             throw ref new COMException(code);
          }
       }

But, what happens in C#, is the following, which is pretty much useless for my customers:

=======================

An exception of type 'System.Exception' occurred in CSMainDemo.exe but was not handled in user code

WinRT information: The text associated with this error code could not be found.

Additional information: The text associated with this error code could not be found.

If there is a handler for this exception, the program may be safely continued.

Monday, June 11, 2012 3:41 PM
  • The RP contains a String constructor for FailureException. However using it, does not give me the string the calling app. Its still "Unknown failure" error text.
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 9:04 AM
  • Have to pick this up again. How do the WinRT components from MSFT attach custom error messages? I tried RoOriginateError to no avail.
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:19 AM
  • The link referenced above:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh441561(v=vs.110).aspx

results in "This topic is no longer available".

I am very interested in this information, is it available anywhere else?

Thursday, May 28, 2015 11:00 PM