none
View of data at entity level RRS feed

• Question

• Is it useful to have a view where one can see the data based on entity framework and entity mappings. I could not find anything where I could check for the data at the entity level. Does microsoft plan to provide something like this in the next CTP? Did anybody else find it to be a "nice to have" information?
    Tuesday, August 29, 2006 7:14 PM

Answers

• The tools team is working on the Entity Mapper tool that helps create and edit mappings using a graphical UI. The current prototype has a feature that supports testing of mappings. It allows issuing canned and free-style eSQL queries against your EDM schema, such as "show me all entities of type Order", and displays the result in a tree view. Would you consider this a helpful feature?

As Danny said, the release date and feature list for tools have not been finalized yet. Your feedback helps us make these decisions, so please stay vocal!

- Sergey

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 11:52 PM

All replies

• Could you clarify a bit what you mean by "a view where one can see the data based on entity framework and entity mappings"?  Do you mean a tool with some UI where you can browse data modelled this way?  Or do you mean a database view that you can query against?  Or did you mean something else?

If you mean at a tool with UI for browsing, the answer is that we do not have such a tool in this CTP, and while we are working on various tools for later releases we don't have a final list of them yet.  I don't remember hearing about a tool that would do this, but that's not the part of the group I work in so there might be such an effort underway that I'm not aware of.

If you meant a database view that you can query against, then we have something like that in the sense that you can query against the map provider the same way as any other ado.net provider and get back a datareader.  This sort of gives you a more traditional data access view over conceptual entities without necessarily having to create object instances, etc.

Does this answer your question?

- Danny

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 8:26 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I meant a tool with some UI where you can browse data modeled this way.  Such a tool will be of great help for quick validation of an entity model against existing data. Can someone from the 'other' group confirm if such an effort is underway and if so what the projected release date is?
    Wednesday, August 30, 2006 7:31 PM
  • The tools team is working on the Entity Mapper tool that helps create and edit mappings using a graphical UI. The current prototype has a feature that supports testing of mappings. It allows issuing canned and free-style eSQL queries against your EDM schema, such as "show me all entities of type Order", and displays the result in a tree view. Would you consider this a helpful feature?

As Danny said, the release date and feature list for tools have not been finalized yet. Your feedback helps us make these decisions, so please stay vocal!

- Sergey

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 11:52 PM
  • Hi,

Does the EDM Designer Prototype CTP include a preview of the entity sets? Same as previewing data of querys od TableAdapters?

If not, how about it?

Guy Burstein

http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/bursteg/

Saturday, October 14, 2006 8:45 AM
  • No, it only shows the EntitySet's. It does however show the EntityContainer and the EntitySet's it stores as properties.

Paul

Saturday, October 14, 2006 4:02 PM